Author Topic: Labyrinth Z  (Read 62297 times)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Labyrinth Z
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:49 pm »
Sun's license currently doesn't permit to split the JRE distribution into smaller parts. Bundle it as a whole or let it be. Sadly, there is no inbetween.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 07:15:01 pm »
I think an installer would take care of most problems, but I better worry about having a game to install first.
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 10:47:26 pm »
I think an installer would take care of most problems.

I agree. Java is a really great platform to build upon, and a free installer that worked on all plarforms in the native way would make Java almost perfect.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 09:38:47 am »
There look like there are some around.  I'm just not ready to check into them yet, though.  Have you tried the Eclipse editor?  That is the nicest editor I've ever used, the way it underlines mistakes and things.  The search on it is kind of complicated, though.

As an update to this game.  I've got most of the game mechanics worked out now with gravity, collision, and jumping.  Although, there is more work to do and animations to add.  It's roughed in anyway.  Pretty soon I'll be playing around with puzzle ideas.  I'm already getting some so I think this is going to be a fun project.  From what I've used of it so far, I'm pretty happy with the animation system.  It seems to allow quite a bit of control.  One complaint I have is with ellipsoidal collision.  It doesn't tell you what you collided with or that you collided at all, so I had to set up another collision to do that.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:18:14 pm by fireside »

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 07:41:55 pm »
There look like there are some around.  I'm just not ready to check into them yet, though.  Have you tried the Eclipse editor?  That is the nicest editor I've ever used, the way it underlines mistakes and things.  The search on it is kind of complicated, though.

I'm a little confused. ??? Isn't eclipse an editor, not a program that creates installers, or were you talking about something else?

Also, when you get your game done, are you going to distribute it? How?

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 10:31:42 pm »
I kind of changed subjects too fast there. 

There's one installer I saw that looks interesting that I haven't checked out.
http://www.installjammer.com/

And I was wondering if you had tried the Eclipse editor and what you thought about it.

Also, when you get your game done, are you going to distribute it? How?

I'll probably upload it on filefront, and then post some notices about it on some game sites.

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 11:14:00 pm »
I was looking around for installers, and I ran across that one. It looks good for distributing on Window, Linux, and Unix, and I hope they will add support for Mac soon.  I don't have a mac, just windows, but since I program in java, it would be nice to deploy the app for all the major platforms. I may use that for my project when I get it done. Also, I don't know if your game will be opensource, but if it is, I found this installer that is free for open source projects.
http://bitrock.com/products_installbuilder_opensource.html

And I was wondering if you had tried the Eclipse editor and what you thought about it.

No, I never used it;I just heard about it in a java robotics forum.
I've used JCreator, and Netbeans. JCreator is nice, NetBeans is a little slow, and the GUI builder isn't that great.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 01:03:36 pm »
Also, I don't know if your game will be opensource, but if it is, I found this installer that is free for open source projects.

Thanks for the link.  I'm not sure if I'll go open source or not.  Jpct isn't, so I don't know how all that works and don't really care that much.  It will be free, and probably follow a license close to jpct so there aren't any problems.  If you go open source, then your artwork is open source also and people just use it rather than making something of their own.  I don't think modeling is that hard and there are free modelers around.  So I'd rather see someone do their own work rather than just take someone else's and use it.

This is a latest screenshot of my game.

I have an abstract gravity object class now.  It's basic, but will improve. I'm using it on the box.  I want to put something that checks position after a couple seconds and then changes it's status so it doesn't get checked any more if it hasn't moved.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 01:12:32 pm by fireside »

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 03:08:35 am »
Hey,
Glad you are making progress with your game. I think I'll try it out when you get it done.

I don't mean to drag out the installer discussion, but I also found an installer called install4j.
http://www.download.com/Install4j/3000-2417_4-10208786.html?tag=lst-1
If you don't use windows, then you can't use this download, but maybe the download from the site is the same. Anyways, on the cnet site it says the limitations for the install4j is just nagware.
Jman

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 12:46:04 pm »
It looks nice, but when you go to the site it says "free to try, 400 dollars to buy."  I'll probably go with installjammer and hope they get their mac version done, or do something special for the mac.  This mac guy I know says they just want a dmg file, but I think you need a mac to make one.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 03:05:04 pm »
Latest update for my game.  The mouse pushes boxes now.  There are some problems to work out, but it basically works pretty good.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2008, 03:59:34 pm »
This isn't for Lab Z, but I didn't want to take up another thread in the project section.  Anyway, it's a leaf that I made in a paint program, then alpha textured onto a six face plane and made tree branches.  After that I took an alpha snapshot of it and used it for a billboard on a 3d trunk.  It's running in the Blender game engine right now, but eventually I want to make small adventure games with jpct. 

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 08:23:32 pm »
This project is on hold for a while.  Although I learned quite a bit, my code is a mess and I need to learn a little more about setting up a java project, etc.  I will probably try to find a very simple game to start out with.  I'm going through some NetBeans tutorials right now because I'm getting a little confused with Eclipse and it seems a little simpler. 

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 09:57:17 pm »
I've used both. I agree that Netbeans is a bit easier to configure. But after all, Eclipse seems more mature to me. And it runs faster. The Netbeans profiler is nice though. I've recently used it to reduce jPCT's object count.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:59:57 pm by EgonOlsen »

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 12:20:35 am »
Hopefully I'll get it a little better with NetBeans.  It's good to hear the profiler works that well.  I have an idea for a simplified game that will use most of what I've done so far, as far as models and code go, but I'll have to rename it.  I might start with software rendering and see how it works out because it might be easier to get it into an applet on a web page.  I know the basics of the language, but the other stuff I really know nothing about.