Author Topic: A few questions...  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Kabal458

• byte
    • View Profile
A few questions...
« on: April 07, 2004, 07:35:02 pm »
I have a few questions about the engine which would really impact whether or not I would plan to use this engine for a project I have.

1) Can 2D objects be drawn over the engine? (Similar to the framerate in the FPS demo) for the purposes of an interface...
2) Can the mouse interact with the Object3Ds? (clicking and so on)  i'm sorta  a  n00b in using the mouse in JAVA so  feel free to leave any ideas...
Keyboard not Detected press Enter to Continue-

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
A few questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 12:00:44 am »
You can blit bitmaps over the rendered image using the blit()-methods in FrameBuffer. That's what the fps-demo does...When using the software renderer only, it's also possible to use AWT/Swing in combination with the rendered image but in respect to (possible) OpenGL support, i won't advise you to do so. If you use the blit()-methods in FrameBuffer, make sure to use the one that operates on Textures instead of int[]. It's usually much faster.
It's possible to "pick" an object with the mouse. Just add a MouseListener to your Component (our use the LWJGL was of doing it...it all depends if you decide to use OpenGL or not) and have a look at Interact2D. It offers methods for picking objects with the mouse.
Hope this helps.