Author Topic: Yet Another Request :- )  (Read 3916 times)

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
Yet Another Request :- )
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:04:09 am »
A method on World or FrameBuffer or so which you could call before draw() (or maybe a drawWithAxis() or something of the sort) that drew this:

That would be REALLY helpful.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Yet Another Request :- )
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 11:24:08 pm »
This has the same problem as your other request for collision volumes had: I can't do a kind of immediate mode rendering. I would have to create objects that make it through the pipeline like any other Object3d. I'm not saying that it isn't possible (of course it is), but i'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:37:06 am »
I knew you'd say that, but it absolutely is worth the hassle. Obviously, you have a great visual IQ, but you can't expect everyone to think the same way as you do. If I do say so, I'm a really good programmer, and I'm not bad at math, but spatial comprehension is far from my strength. You'll find this is not uncommon. Trust me, it would be REALLY helpful for almost anyone. And in order not to have to change the pipeline, the method could simply add such an object to the world when called.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:52:05 am by AGP »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:53:56 pm »
Maybe adding it as a primitive would help...

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 11:10:51 pm »
That would be awesome, thank you. But would it by default be attached to the camera?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 11:11:39 pm »
No, it would just be another Object3D...

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:19:46 pm »
Then, since there's no Camera. getTranslationMatrix(), how would you attach it (I was thinking you could just do object.setTranslationMatrix(world.getCamera().getTranslationMatrix())?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:30:06 pm »
I'm not sure if i'm really getting what this is supposed to be used for...If you rotate for example 45° around z...how should it look like on screen?

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 11:42:36 pm »
It will rotate like everything else so that you know which axis is which and in what direction they're pointed in worldspace, but it should translate along with the camera so it's always in sight.

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 04:03:53 am »
Couldn't you just create a model of the axis, load and add it to the world, and then translate it to directly in front of the camera any time the camera moves or rotates?  Getting it in front of the camera should be a matter of a couple vector subtractions and a translate.  As long as you don't rotate the Object3D, the axis should always be pointing in the correct direction, so if it's translated to in front of the camera where you can see it, it should provide the spatial context you need.

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:35:15 am »
Even if I could, that would be far from the same thing as a jpct standard solution that could be called upon as needed, whenever and on whichever project one would need it. It's important to have standards, and I don't see what objection anyone could have to having this feature.