Author Topic: Let's see JCPT applet and some my remarks about using JCPT  (Read 6523 times)

Offline dankor

• byte
    • View Profile
Hi,

Applet url: http://omnisoft.pl/en/marketing_3D.html

I've been using JCPT from one week and I must say, that Egon did excellent job!.

I’d like to share my remarks about JCPT with other developers:

The most difficult for me was the beginning. Although there is a nice tutorial and two samples, but it is enough to create simple example only. Then I wanted to add lights (good looking), fit the object to the scene automatically, add metal effect, etc. And this took me many hours and probable I didn’t manage without Egon, who helped me.

From my point of view good documentation for “not experienced in 3D” users is lacking here. Documentation should have many examples, which would show how to use JCPT in practice.

PS. I’d like to thank Egon for his help.

Have a nice day,

Daniel

Offline hytparadisee

• int
    • View Profile
    • http://peterhi.com
Re: Let's see JCPT applet and some my remarks about using JCPT
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:17:58 pm »
Documentation should have many examples, which would show how to use JCPT in practice.

I do not completely agree with you. As my personal experience, the number of examples doesn't matter. And that is exactly why I came back to here from JME. JME has a full bunch of good examples, tutorials and tips and tricks on how to use JME. But after going through all the tutorials, looked through all the samples, and posts on the forums, i cannot even setup a robust collision detection system. And if you looked through the forum, there is not even any meaningful posts about collision system.

I my opinion, the engine itself is more important. JME, until now, doesn't have an easy to use collision system (i don't mean they don't have, they can detect collision for you, but how you put your objects, your own task!). In terms of support and service, other engines have much documentation, but not enough to setup a game as easy as the two examples given by Egon; other engines have numerous posts in the forums, but many left unresolved or at best, linked to a scholarly paper, which you are left to do the implementation.

I do have the initial feeling like you - why the support & document just don't seemed enough. But now i come the understand. The reason is not because the support is no good, but because i am to noob. It takes some time to get used to it.

Anyway, need help, just post. There are many people who walked thus far, and who are willing to push us forward.

Cheers.
Today I finally found a problem to my soluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuution

Offline dankor

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:31:36 pm »
Hi,

You wrote:
"I do have the initial feeling like you - why the support & document just don't seemed enough."

I've just written about my initial feeling. Now after few days together with JCPT it is obvious that forum is the best place to solve any problems.

But think how many people around the world were on the "www.jcpt.net" due to not enough patience have left this site.

bye,

Daniel

Offline ToddMcF2002

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 06:12:12 pm »
Its all a trade off.  JPCT is a very user friendly API for 3D beginners but it is still a game engine and anyone messing with a game engine should expect long hours of testing, research and buckets of frustration.  The javadoc is pretty well documented compared to most.  The forums are a great resource.

Just my opinion:
If I had to pick a source of frustration about JPCT though - it would not be JPCT at all, but the community here.  In my opinion no game engine can exist without community participation and unfortunately there is little participation.  Lots of projects with lots of valuable code written and lots of unfulfilled promises to post code..  Since the tutorials are bit scanty people will rely on that support and I believe it is lacking.

Offline cyberkilla

• float
    • View Profile
    • http://futurerp.net
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 02:35:51 pm »
I think it is nice that we are a small community at this point.

The more people there are, the more people are complaining about something,
or asking the exact same questions:).

I have tried to fulfill my promises to contribute whenever possible, and so have quite a few others.

This project needs little or no help at this point though, because there are very few bugs:).

Necessity brings creation. Everything that is deemed important will be done eventually.
http://futurerp.net - Text Based MMORPG
http://beta.rpwar.com - 3D Isometric MMORPG