Author Topic: Is it possible to make shadows while using sw rendering? And about light...  (Read 4788 times)

Offline entis

• byte
    • View Profile
Hi,

I would like to know the following things:

1. Is it possible to make shadows with jpct for the objects on scene while using sw rendering?
2. Are there some "directed" light sources in jpct (while using sw rendering)?... I mean not ambient or vertex lights but "directed" one like projector (I hope it's clear what I mean :))...

Thanks.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
No, the software renderer doesn't support shadows or projective textures, i'm afraid. Do you have a screen shot or something that illustrates what you want to achieve? Maybe there's a kind of workaround to create a similar effect with the sw renderer.

Offline entis

• byte
    • View Profile
I do not have a screen shot of what I want to achieve... and I think that it is not really neccessary... just because I want to have a shadow for some object (example: a man, a dog, a cat etc) that is moving on a scene... of course the shadow should fall from the light sources (or simmulate this somehow)... I think that there is no need in screen shot to get my wish :) I even think that it will be enough to have a simple shadow (some ellipse.. or something else.. i.e. not the projected copy of the object). That's it...

P.S. This all is in context of SW renderer...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 10:07:15 am by entis »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Have a look at Bloodridge (can be found on the projects page). It uses a kind of geometrical blob shadow in combination with the software renderer.

Offline Hrolf

• int
    • View Profile
Yeah, I used 'pseudo-shadows' - a partially transparent texture rendered at the character's feet. If shadow detail is really important you could make a series of pseudo-shadows, one for each keyframe of your character's animation.
For static objects (trees &c) I made ground textures with the shadow already drawn on.

Offline entis

• byte
    • View Profile
Thanks for your answers...