Author Topic: Labyrinth Z  (Read 62305 times)

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
Re: Labyrinth Z
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 04:46:02 pm »
From what I heard, it doesn't work on a touch pad.  I don't have one.  You can bring the cursor back to center while the mouse is walking or jumping.  I may put in a space bar that locks it so you can bring it back to center that way also.  I could also put in arrow keys as an alternative, I don't know.  There's a class called robot that lets you move the cursor, but it causes a security shut down.  If you can think of a way that it will be easier using a touch pad, let me know.  I don't really like keyboard controls.  I'll probably put a meter bar over the mouse when he's coiling down because it's a little hard to judge that also.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:52:51 pm by fireside »
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 04:51:10 pm »
Nice job. It is better using a mouse than a touchpad. The one thing is the floating blocks disappear, which looks a little weird.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 04:54:11 pm »
The one thing is the floating blocks disappear, which looks a little weird.

I did that with fog setting, I think.   Maybe I didn't need to, but with the jumping I wanted maximum speed in software rendering.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:56:07 pm by fireside »

Offline raft

• quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aptalkarga.com
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2008, 02:51:50 am »
interesting controls. you must allow multiple movements at the same time IMHO

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 04:10:05 am »
It's not really a game where you need to do multiple, at least yet, and it gives the player a way to move the cursor back to the center of the screen while the character is walking.  It will be mainly a game where you think about how far to jump or maybe a puzzle or something.  Once the character jumps, he just has to put up with the decision he made, can't adjust afterward.  There isn't really much walking otherwise it would get annoying to have to stop and then turn, but mostly he'll just have to walk a very short way and then make an adjustment or something. The pace of the game will be slower than most jumping games.  No enemies, just puzzles.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:14:46 am by fireside »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 07:40:39 pm »
Ah, mouse is much better. But like raft, i'm missing the option to execute two movements at a time. That doesn't interfere with the general slow pace of the game IMHO. It would just make moving around feel more natural. I finally managed to get the cheese, but it was a trail and error...i'm missing a kind of indication how long i have to press the button to make the correct jump. It's just wild guessing ATM.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 08:13:31 pm »
Hmm, well, I'll think about combined, but there just isn't much walking so I can't quite see why that would be important.  I plan on having keyboard controls also.  As long as the mouse is off screen, I can use up, down, left, and right to do the same thing and it should work for notebooks then.  I've only used track pads a couple times and I don't see how anyone can do anything with them.  I have added a tail animation, but not online yet, so the tail coils while the mouse is bending down to give further feedback to the player on when to jump.  I really don't want to use a progress bar because it takes away the intuitiveness of it for me and makes it too academic. Thanks for the feedback.  It really helps a lot.  The animation and keyboard are for sure.  I'll have to think about combined.  I could do combined for the keyboard and not the mouse, also, I guess.  I might drop the mouse control, also.  Not sure just yet.  I didn't think about the cursor going off screen and the problems that go with it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 08:51:14 pm by fireside »

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 03:58:59 am »
I've introduced a tail animation to give extra feedback for deciding when to jump.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2008, 06:00:57 am »
I did some new textures and a start up choice for keyboard or mouse controls.  The keyboard controls have combined motion except for the jump, which really wouldn't work out.  Hopefully it will solve the track pad problem.  The arrow keys are used for keyboard.  After this I'll hopefully just be working on more levels and puzzles.

Offline raft

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2008, 04:17:49 pm »
i was looking for a key to cancel the jump after crouch. forward key (up arrow) do cancel the jump but results in forward movement which is not stopable

for your information

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2008, 05:33:06 pm »
Keyboard controls are much better IMHO. One funny thing: You can walk while being in mid air which makes you jump much longer. When walking in the air, i can reach platforms that are unreachable otherwise. I'm not sure if this is intentionally... ;)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:25:37 am by EgonOlsen »

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2008, 11:51:42 pm »
No, not intentional.  Thanks for finding it.  The game is supposed to be hard.  No adjustments after the jump.

Thanks for your's too raft.  It's a little new so still working out bugs.  I don't plan to put a cancel in either, but may change my mind.  I wish for a cancel sometimes, but I plan to make it more or more critical to choose the right timing as levels increase.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:56:08 pm by fireside »

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:54 pm »
As a small update, nothing to see yet, I wrote a little positioner program for elements like moving objects and switches.  I looked at a couple editors, but in the end decided to write something, since my needs are pretty basic.  The problem with almost all add-ons is the documentation is nearly non-existent and the author just assumes you will understand the thing. Also, you're never sure if it's going to get abandoned or not.   Although, I have to admit I didn't try very hard.  I just see a lot of windows and panic.  For some reason, I can't quite match up coordinates from Blender to jPct.  Since it will be mainly a large 3ds level with extra's added, it shouldn't be a big deal to load them into the positioner and get the translation coordinates that way.  I can later have it write a config file that gets loaded into the game program.   Rather than write extended classes for world objects, I'm going to try using the addObject method and see how it works.  It seems like it would be all I need.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:15:15 am by fireside »

Offline raft

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 12:33:06 am »
yeah, that's a common problem. we all need that kind of level/object editor and write something simple that can help us. later we need more capability and write some more. at the end all remain proprietary or if shared poorly documented. if all that effort went into a single project we would have a good level/object editor. similar problem in gl gui frameworks. what a shame

have you tried todd's level editor ? it seemed promising to me. i do not do any development in karga anymore but will certainly give it a try if i return back

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 03:50:31 am »
I looked at it a little.  The code was old and showed some errors, I think.  I don't think it's being updated.  I think writing my own level editor is a good way to learn a little more, anyway.  I think mainly for tools, I'd like to see Paul stay on with the sound library.  I'm not sure about level editors.  The ones for Ogre aren't all that good either from what I've heard people on the forums say.  I think for an independent project, you have to go a little further and make it an actual game making editor or it's pretty hard to plug it into another project.   
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 03:52:17 am by fireside »