Author Topic: Robot Builder  (Read 38112 times)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Robot Builder
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 11:55:38 pm »
Yes, you may... ;D

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2008, 11:45:11 pm »
I did some work on the Map Maker today.  I finished the toolbars for camera navigation and texture selection.  This program is starting to look kind of cool.  Here's a link:

http://www.paulscode.com/games/RobotBuilder/MapMaker/29NOV2008/

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 02:11:56 am »
Very cool! I like the sounds that go with the paint.
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2008, 02:41:23 am »

http://www.paulscode.com/games/RobotBuilder/MapMaker/30NOV2008/
Today I did some more work on the Map Maker.  Changes include:

1) The code for selecting map cells is complete.  Cells can be selected one at a time or multiple at a time while holding down "Control".  It is also possible to "drag-select" with the mouse.

2) I made it so that if any cells are selected, the paint tool will automatically fill them with whatever texture I pick.  This should save me a lot of time when I eventually start making maps for the game.

3) I made it so right-click always acts like the select tool, so I won't have to keep switching back and forth between tools.

4) I added in a visible wireframe that I can turn on or off from the Options toolbar.  This helps to distinguish one cell from the next.

5) The "Save" button in the options toolbar works nicely.  The "Load" function, however, isn't finished.

6) I added in buttons for "Select by cell", "Select by map", and "Free select".  The later two will be implemented later after I add in the ability to load more than one adjacent maps at a time.

Offline zammbi

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 01:20:49 am »
Very nice start.
Is this map editor going to be free to use for everyone?
Because I sure would use it on my game, when I start working on it again.

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2008, 02:13:48 am »
Yes, when I finish it, I will release the source code along with a test program demonstrating how to load the generated maps in an actual game.  Of course you'd probably have to switch out the textures for a particular game.

Offline zammbi

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2010, 02:48:38 pm »
Are you still working on this? I would love to have simple easy map editor that I can just quickly make a map, shape how I want it, load some models like trees, set the lighting, then load it into JPCT.
Just don't want to reinvent the wheel and try get another map editor.
I'm willing to help put some cash towards it if it will help :)

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 01:00:04 am »
I haven't had a lot of time for programming these days.  No thanks on the cash - I'm not very reliable as programmers go (it's more of a hobby for me than an obsession).  My schedule is crazy enough that I could never guarantee any amount of time to the project anyway (not to mention that I am over due to be non-vol'ed for a deployment).

That being said, this project is definitely still in the queue.  I'd like to get the next release of my SoundSystem out first, and I also want to finish an arcade-reminiscent space game I've been working on (originally for testing special-effects concepts, but it has kind of grown into a game of its own).  At some point I'll get back to finishing Robot Builder (and the map maker).

Offline zammbi

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 05:34:41 am »
All good.
Ill look else where then.
Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:28:53 am by zammbi »