Author Topic: OpenGL Functionality?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline darkfrog

• byte
    • View Profile
OpenGL Functionality?
« on: July 15, 2009, 03:47:58 pm »
Hey guys, I'm considering using jpct and had a couple questions about the underlying connectivity with OpenGL about what it leverages.

• Does it automatically use PBOs for storing textures?
  • Does it default to use VBOs?
  • To run in an applet it is only required that the 240kb JAR is included? (there are no other dependencies required for software rendering)

I have been writing my own UI framework in JOGL and I would really like to be able to support software rendering and to that end I would be interested in switching to jpct if it will do everything I need without a lot of additional dependencies and hassle.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: OpenGL Functionality?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:16:34 pm »
No, it doesn't use PBOs for texture data. It uses the "normal" way to upload textures. It doesn't use VBOs either let alone by default. It has two different render paths, one that i call hybrid path (which is default) that uses vertex arrays, but in a slightly different manner than you would expect. The other path is the compiled path (enabled by calling compile() on an object) that uses vertex arrays and display lists. I played around with VBOs, but they weren't any better than display lists for what jPCT is doing.
To use jPCT in an applet as a software renderer, the 240kb jar is all you need. If you want to use OpenGL in an applet, it's a different story.