Author Topic: Maximum farPlane value?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline AW999

• int
    • View Profile
Maximum farPlane value?
« on: January 09, 2010, 09:26:52 pm »
I couldn't find any information on this in the docs, so I'm asking here:  what is the maximum functional value for farPlane ?  I've tried setting it as high as possible but there comes a point when it no longer extends the view.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Maximum farPlane value?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:21:00 pm »
...plus you'll run into accuracy issues...the farer away it is, the more coarse the depth buffer is. To be honest. i've no idea about the highest possible value, but if there is such thing, it should be mentioned in the OpenGL specs somewhere. It could also depend on the hardware...i'm not sure about this. I've just noticed that very high values aren't a good idea unless your geometry is pretty simple so that the reduced depth buffer accuracy doesn't matter.
The terrain demo is a good example of this, because it uses different settings for the sky and the terrain. If you would apply the same setting to the terrain that i'm using for the sky, the terrain starts to flicker due to depth buffer errors.

BTW: Adjusting the near plane in jPCT doesn't really do any good when using the OpenGL renderers. Version 1.20 will change this behaviour.