Author Topic: General Question: Can this engine work on other mobile devices?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline xipolec

• byte
    • View Profile
Hello, I was just wondering if this can work on any devices, in more particular mobile devices, with java on it?
Once I have my game up and running, I was thinking of porting the game to Cell phones, mainly the ones with a physical key-pad, but also, smartphones, like BlackBerry Storm, Peril, among others

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: General Question: Can this engine work on other mobile devices?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:28:12 pm »
To a degree...it should be possible to use the software renderer on devices that support Java Micro Edition. I once tried this on a real old HP PocketPC and it worked fine. However, those devices are usually too slow to use software rendering, so it's more like a proof of concept than anything. The hardware renderer won't work on such devices no matter what...and even if it would, i doubt that a Blackberry has any support for hardware rendering... ???
However, there's a port to Android (called jPCT-AE, you can find some information about it in the corresponding forum section). It's not a straight port but it's very similar to desktop jPCT, so that it should be pretty easy to port your application to Android once you got it working on the desktop.

Offline xipolec

• byte
    • View Profile
Re: General Question: Can this engine work on other mobile devices?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:06:54 am »
ohh, ok; darn; Well, at least it's nice on the desktop! :D