jPCT-AE - a 3d engine for Android > Support

fake shadows

(1/3) > >>

raft:
hi,

i'm working on a simple ball game. as the ball can jump, it's crucial to notify the user over which tile the ball is. a shadow is the most obvious way but it's not supported in android version. even if it is supported, i doubt it will perform good enough.

so what's the best way of faking simple shadows ? most simple solution will be to highlight the tile without any shadow. calculating where shadow will be and modifying tile's texture may be an option but it wont be easy and will not perform good because of continuous texture uploading. what else can i do ?

thanks,
r a f t

EgonOlsen:
A quad with a transparent, dark spot as blob shadow? Just like in bloodridge for example: http://www.hayles.demon.co.uk/bloodridge/bloodridge.html

raft:
that sounds as a good idea ;D what about the tiles on the side ? i need to trim that shadow to tile's borders

EgonOlsen:
I don't quite understand that tile problem yet...maybe an illustration would help... ;)

raft:
as in the screenshot below. when the ball is close to a border of tile, the shadow should be trimmed to border.

(taken from ballbox)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version