Author Topic: Saving worlds  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Bartok

• byte
    • View Profile
Saving worlds
« on: September 03, 2004, 06:46:03 pm »
I was wondering if there was a way of saving out the world.  For example exporting to your XML format or something?  Or even individual Object3Ds to a 3ds file?  I see that all the important objects are serializable, but was hoping for something that could be read in the same way as I would read in any other level data.

Thanks

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Saving worlds
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 07:10:32 pm »
Yes, you can serialize a world. It has been done by someone here in the forums. Just do a search for it. About writing the world out to XML: Well, the code to do this is there. but it's not active at the moment. I can add it to the next release if this would help.

Offline Bartok

• byte
    • View Profile
Saving worlds
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 05:34:57 pm »
Well, I'm thinking of allowing designers to edit some parts of the level visually, and am looking for away to export the data into a useful format.  Serialization isn't really all the usable as it's not guaranteed to work across versions, etc.  So the exporting to XML or back to 3ds or whatever would be great.  Actually, now that I think about it a way to export individual Object3D's would also be useful.  But if there's a chance at just exporting the whole scene to XML that would be great.  Thanks.