Author Topic: Comic book appearance  (Read 2551 times)

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Comic book appearance
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:15:18 pm »
I am thinking about making some children's educational games, and one effect I'd like to achieve is for each frame to look like a 2D drawing in a comic or colloring book.  I've been playing around with various settings and textures, and so far I get the closest to my goal if I use only ambient lighting and texture a black "outline" on the edge of each component (for example around the waist and ankles of a pair of pants).  The main problem is somehow drawing an outline around the visible edges of each object.  I'm thinking I could duplicate each object and texture one completely black and scale it up a tad, then use a pseudo-billboarding effect to always have it behind to other object.  I thought I'd see if anyone here has some additional ideas I could try to improve the effect I'm after.

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
Re: Comic book appearance
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:18:08 pm »
A lot of cartoon shading is done with shaders.  Since jpct has those now, it would probably be the best way to go.
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Comic book appearance
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:48:03 pm »
There's also some source code in on the download page that Klaudiusz once wrote that tries to create a cartoon render effect without using shaders. I'm not sure how good it is though.