Author Topic: Quake III (player) model support for jPCT  (Read 8749 times)

Offline nlotz

• byte
    • View Profile
Quake III (player) model support for jPCT
« on: September 16, 2010, 12:59:56 pm »
I started a small project that is supposed to add support for loading animated Quake III (player) models to jPCT:

http://code.google.com/p/q3m4jpct

What I got so far:
  • model geometry
  • keyframe animation

What is missing:
  • sophisticated surface shaders
  • everything else

If you have any questions or want to help out with the project just let me know...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:55:47 pm by nlotz »

Offline zammbi

• float
    • View Profile
Re: Quake III (player) model support for jPCT
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 04:47:33 pm »
Awesome stuff. I may have to add this into my project later on.

How much you going to support?

Is the loader just as easy to use like the default ones?

There isn't any legal issues using this model format? Aka used in commercial software?

Offline nlotz

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:04:08 pm »
How much you going to support?
As much as possible, but I'm afraid my time is limited. Anyone interested in lending a hand?

Is the loader just as easy to use like the default ones?
There's an example for loading a player model in the wiki. I'll have a look at how the jPCT default loaders work.

There isn't any legal issues using this model format? Aka used in commercial software?
Using the model format should be okay. It's fairly documented, the Quake III source code is GPLed and there are quite a few 3d-modeling-plugins that support .md3-files, as well. Using models from the game won't be okay, of course. I asked the author of the demo model for permission prior to using it in my project.

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 07:01:28 pm »
I thought MD3s only handled skeletal animation, is there vertex-based animation or did you write your own bones?

And Egon, any chance you could incorporate this into the Loader class using jPCT "grammar?"

Offline nlotz

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:21:49 pm »
I thought MD3s only handled skeletal animation, is there vertex-based animation or did you write your own bones?
MD3 models are keyframe animated. The loader reads the model's keyframes into a standard jPCT Animation. MD3 models contain tags for attaching other models, but no bone definitions.

And Egon, any chance you could incorporate this into the Loader class using jPCT "grammar?"
That's something I had in mind when choosing the MIT license. Once the project is mature enough, you can simply copy & paste the sources and add a method to the jPCT model loader.

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 03:33:14 am »
I was convinced it did use bones, so I searched around and found this post: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=121881. Scroll down to the guy who explains that on the original version (for Quake 3 Arena) it used keyframe animations whereas on the second one (for Quake 3 TA) it used bones. Any chance of binding it to either Cyberkilla's or, preferably, Raft's bones?