Author Topic: high object count vs high polygon count  (Read 2861 times)

Offline monkeyfuzz

• byte
    • View Profile
high object count vs high polygon count
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:14:53 pm »
Hello, I have started to test the performance of 3D on android (htc hero). Been using the eclipse example, pretty easy going and fast to learn, thank you for that one.

Right now I have 42 planes. That is 84 polygons. I get 20 fps with that. 15 fps when I start to touch the screen because of the android interface bug. Is this because of high object count? Would it be smoother if I were to just have one object with 84 polygons?

Does this matter for the jpct famework? Or will it just compose it as one whole bunch of polygons?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: high object count vs high polygon count
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 09:25:38 pm »
Today's gpus (and that includes the ones in mobile phones) are optimized to process large chunks of geometry in one call. It's always better to join polygons into an object if possible instead of rendering many different objects. jPCT-AE compiles the objects into vertex arrays/vertex buffer object. The fewer you have, the faster the rendering is.

BTW: Just like my Galaxy (same chipset), the Hero performs pretty bad compared to current devices. If it runs ok on such a device, it will fly on almost everything else.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:27:57 pm by EgonOlsen »