Author Topic: Worldspace units. Workflow for placing objects in world?  (Read 3159 times)

Offline neo187

• int
    • View Profile
Worldspace units. Workflow for placing objects in world?
« on: September 17, 2011, 08:34:35 pm »
Hi all

i was wondering if anyone had any guidelines or suggestions as to how to place models made in an app like Blender into the game world. I am very much used to tools like Unity where you have a visual editor...

I was thinking that I could build the entire scene in blender and then simplyy export it but then if I wanted to "build" the object to get bounding volumes I would only get a big box enclosing the entire room.... or not?

So in that case, if I wanted to import different objects singularly, do you guys know what the JPCT units correspond to? Say in metres/feet so as to work out a co ordinate from the Blender scene?

Thank you!

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Worldspace units. Workflow for placing objects in world?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:19:07 am »
There's no such thing as a unit/meter relation. Have a look here (for example. You'll find this question several times in the forum): http://www.jpct.net/forum2/index.php/topic,1560.msg11278.html#msg11278

jPCT's loaders are objects loaders, not scene loaders. I prefer to place my stuff in code, but then again, i prefer using ASCII as a level format even for 3D... ;).

Offline neo187

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 12:51:34 pm »
Thank you, that helps. So you recommend importing each element singularly? Cos in Blender you can actually merge a number of meshes into one object and export it as one. But then I am guessing that only one bounding volume for the entire thing would be created when you set the collision and build it?...

For example, the four walls of a room, do you recommend to place each wall singularly or would the collision work fine if you import the four walls as one object?

Thank you for your help!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:22:12 pm by neo187 »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 10:00:57 pm »
I suggest to merge as much geometry into one object as possible. Everything (i.e. rendering, collision detection...) will be faster that way in almost every case.

Offline neo187

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »
Cool. I made a test in the end with a mesh consisting of a floor and four walls. I was impressed to see that the collision checks actually work with each individual wall, I was afraid that the engine would only create a big bounding box enclosing the entire mesh but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks for your help!