Author Topic: Noob into Bones. Collada or Ogre?  (Read 16803 times)

Offline efaj

• byte
    • View Profile
Noob into Bones. Collada or Ogre?
« on: December 26, 2011, 02:01:33 am »
So yeah, now I have all my static stuff working and I'm getting into Skeleton animation... for Bones, what's the recommended way to go?
I see it handles both Collada and Ogre (and .bones which I assume are the "native" ones for the lib and will work faster at the cost of harder editing). Which would be better? I see Collada being more commonplace everywhere, being used in PS3 and included in Blender (which I use), while Ogre needs an external plugin (though, it seems is more used in this board and in Bones, also the example is better)

The ninja example seems to be exactly what I need, but I've been looking into Ogre, and it seems harder to edit and work with Blender. Can Collada work like that too?

In general, what's the recomendation to a noob that uses Blender?

Offline raft

• quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aptalkarga.com
Re: Noob into Bones. Collada or Ogre?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 02:19:59 am »
right, .bones is Bones's native format. either Collada or Ogre format can be converted into it. it's not suposed to be edited.

personally I think Ogre is better. my experience says plugins and exporters for Ogre are better. its files are more human readible. Ogre has pose animations which Collada does not have. Ogre supports multiple animations per file. rumors say Collada does too but I have never seen a sample.

I f you have access, I would suggest 3dsMax + OgreMax. If not I guess Blender will also do fine