Author Topic: tablets  (Read 3127 times)

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
tablets
« on: May 06, 2012, 01:03:10 am »
Thinking about getting a Kindle Fire, actually, probably waiting till the next version comes out, but I'm wondering if it's the same as the phone or did they split or anything?  Haven't kept up with it.
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: tablets
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:06:33 am »
I *think* it's restricted. Albeit Android based, you can't do everything with it....i might be wrong though...

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:36:59 pm »
I'll have to check back when the next version comes out.  I know they have Angry Birds and other Android games so there must be some way.  I want to get a Kindle Fire because then I get free book rentals with Amazon Prime.  Writing a few small games with jpct would be kind of fun at that point and possibly posting them someplace, either Amazon or Google or whatever.
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline vickt

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:33:27 am »
The Kindle Fire implementation of Android is pretty decent. It runs everything on their Amazon AppStore which has no restrictions on Android APIs and such. It costs $99 a year to publish to their store, but the first year is free. I actually have not tried developing on a Fire, but I do have an app on their store.

As you may know, BlackBerry Playbook now can run Android apps (they have a Dalvik VM running in the OS), but they limited developers from a lot of lower level stuff like interfacing directly with a camera. I haven't tried OpenGL performance on mine, but lightweight android apps run terribly when scrolling and drawing UI animations. Actually, on second thought, everything runs terribly on BlackBerry Playbook...