Author Topic: Texture resizing  (Read 2408 times)

Offline AeroShark333

• float
    • View Profile
Texture resizing
« on: May 27, 2016, 08:20:19 am »
Hello,

So I have a small question...
Let's say I have an Android bitmap with the following resolution 1024x2048 (height x width) and I want to make it a 2048x2048 squared texture (to provide support for devices that don't support non-squared textures).
How can I scale the height in the most efficient way?
Bitmap.createScaledBitmap isn't that memory efficient I suppose... (There will be a moment when the original bitmap and the scaled bitmap are loaded in the memory, right? I would like to avoid this,because it could rise an OutOfMemoryError for some devices I guess)

So then, is it possible to do it with a Texture instance instead?
Basically pass the original 1024x2048 bitmap instance to a new texture instance and do Texture.scaleHeight(2);
(Texture.scaleWidth(0.5f); would be possible too of course...)
And when the texture is uploaded to the TextureManager, then the texture will be uploaded as a 2048x2048 texture to the GPU.
I don't know if this can be done... but I guess it would be quite memory efficient if this was possible.

Cheers,
Abiram

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Texture resizing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:08:26 am »
No, that won't help. You would still have two copies of the pixels in memory at a time. The actual question is: Why are your textures that large anyway? A 1024*2048 texture alone will consume up 20mb of ram (GPU and main memory combined). That's quite a lot even on today's devices.
And do you actually have a problem with these non-square textures? I know that jPCT-AE prints out a warning if you are using them and that's because these dimensions are a grey area in the OpenGL ES 2.0 specs and they do have issues on some, especially older, devices. But on recent ones, it should actually work.

Offline AeroShark333

• float
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 02:27:03 pm »
Well the textures are big for the best quality.
I don't have any issues with the non-square textures, but since I read that warning, I do wanted to add support for devices that don't support it

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:27:31 am »
In that case, I simply wouldn't bother with it. IIRC, the specs are missing information about POT but non-square textures, so every implementation is correct. That's why on older devices/drivers, this was a problem. But there isn't even a way to query for the support. Personally, I'm ignoring the warning and never got any complaints about missing textures.