Author Topic: JPCT Demo to AE porting ?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline PastGenGaming

• byte
    • View Profile
JPCT Demo to AE porting ?
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:46:07 pm »
Hello boys :)

Just a little background story: I've done some small personal projects in Unity3D, DarkBasic, UnRealEngine and Delphi. These have all been fun and educational to use, but it is time for me to move on to something capable of handling Android games (Without the cost of fx. Unity).

Well. For the past few weeks, I've been reading through the JavaDOCS (And java in general) - And I have started to get a little cross on JPCT(hopefully-soon-to-be)AE.
I took the basic FPS (Quake level) piece of code, and got rid of the elevator, changed the lighting, modelled 2 new maps and a few weapons and implemented it using the basic code as a blueprint. Well. There's a looong way to go, as I'm mainly a 2D/3D artist, and use most my time in that area of artism.

I'm currently working on getting some bitmap touch events to work out, as this is the main reason I'm jumping ahead. I need to know if my intent is a reality before I go any further with this project :)

I would really like to know if anybody tried porting the Basic Quake Level and Gun FPS Demo example to JPCT-AE, and what problems they faced during that port?

I did some searches, but nothing looked like this question. I might have done wrong, and in that case - please feel free to correct me, and refer me to what you see as the answer. Mr. Olsen already got some Very fine examples in his RPG, and I would love to hit that level before the Next year runs out.

I don't hope I piss someone off by asking these retarded questions, but I'll be going through more documentation as you read this :)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: JPCT Demo to AE porting ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:31:22 pm »
Not sure if i got the actual question...is it possible to port the example? Yes, it is. I once did that for the very first version of jPCT-AE, but i don't have it anymore.

Offline PastGenGaming

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »
That was pretty much the question, and then how hard it is.
It seems to be out of my current skill-set, so I'll see if I can get it slowly done, and if I succeed, I'll post the code as an example - which I think AE should have because of the lack of examples, docs and tutorials. Hopefully I'll get it done in the near future. :)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:08:59 pm »
It's actually not that hard to port it. You have to make an Activity from the Application, which is the most difficult part (if one can call that difficult). The rest should run more or less without changes.

Offline PastGenGaming

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »
Thanks for your answer, mate.
I'll get to it and post again if I run into any problems, that I can't figure out.