jPCT-AE - a 3d engine for Android > Bugs

Crash on Galaxy S3

(1/2) > >>

AugTech:
Hi,

I have just released a new version of our app, and unfortunately there is a repeatable crash on a galaxy S3. The only 'big' difference I can think of between that and the galaxy S2 I have always tested on is Android 4.x vs 2.3.3 ... The only information I have (not owning an S3) is the reported stack trace as below;

--- Code: ---java.lang.RuntimeException: [ 1357589905458 ] - ERROR: before: glError 1281
at com.threed.jpct.Logger.log(Logger.java:189)
at com.threed.jpct.GL20.checkError(GL20.java:142)
at com.threed.jpct.GL20.glGenBuffers(GL20.java:1324)
at com.threed.jpct.CompiledInstance.compileToVBO(CompiledInstance.java:1299)
at com.threed.jpct.CompiledInstance.render(CompiledInstance.java:533)
at com.threed.jpct.GLRenderer.drawVertexArray(GLRenderer.java:2246)
at com.threed.jpct.World.draw(World.java:1321)
at com.threed.jpct.World.draw(World.java:1083)
at com.augtech.awila.graphics.JpctRenderer.onDrawFrame(JpctRenderer.java:165)
at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.guardedRun(GLSurfaceView.java:1516)
at android.opengl.GLSurfaceView$GLThread.run(GLSurfaceView.java:1240)

--- End code ---

This happens after starting a new activity (such as a dialog) and then returning to the main activity that runs the rendering.

Could this be related to not re-creating the frame buffer if not required?

--- Code: --- @Override
public void onSurfaceChanged(GL10 ignore, int width, int height) {
Globals.SCREEN_WIDTH = width;
Globals.SCREEN_HEIGHT = height;
if (frameBuffer==null) {
        frameBuffer = new FrameBuffer(Globals.SCREEN_WIDTH, Globals.SCREEN_HEIGHT);
        Log.i(LOG_TAG,"Frame buffer set - w: "+ Globals.SCREEN_WIDTH + ", h: "+Globals.SCREEN_HEIGHT );
}
}

--- End code ---

Any ideas?!?
Many thanks in advance

EgonOlsen:

--- Quote from: AugTech on January 07, 2013, 09:34:28 pm ---Could this be related to not re-creating the frame buffer if not required?

--- End quote ---
Yes, most likely. If the context changes, the FrameBuffer should be recreated or otherwise, the gl context isn't initialized properly to be used by jPCT-AE.

AugTech:
This seems to work happily on the other devices I have tested on, so a little strange... I had thought that onSurfacedChanged() was only called when the surface dimensions changed, and therefore as the layout is fixed to landscape within the application this wouldn't get called again via onResume() or similar.

If this is the case, is there a way to check if the context has changed prior to creating a new buffer? - Previously I wasn't checking if the frame buffer was null and therefore always re-creating it, but as you know re-initialising the context/ buffer causes a major slow-down, hence the change.

Cheers Egon.

EgonOlsen:
I *think* that previous versions of Android never saved the context and always created a new one. They then made this behaviour a little smarter, but i'm neither sure if there is a way to detect this nor if it's save to rely on it. One, albeit unsave, option would be to check for the Android version and only rely on a saved context in 4 and above.

However, how comes that a S3 runs with 2.3.3 (or did i get this wrong?)? There never was a S3 with such an old version...

Thomas.:
Method onSurfaceChanged() will not be called by change of the orientation if you add the following line into your manifest.

--- Code: ---android:restoreNeedsApplication="true"
--- End code ---

edit: Oh, it was deprecated in API level 8...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version