Author Topic: Android-Game 'Autoball' [v0.1a] [Update 2013-03-23]  (Read 7084 times)

Offline kbjansen

• byte
    • View Profile
Android-Game 'Autoball' [v0.1a] [Update 2013-03-23]
« on: February 02, 2013, 01:37:10 pm »
Update 2013-03-23
Hi again,
after 2 month break caused by my Prof's illness the Master Thesis finally got defended successfully on last Thursday.
I used the following videos to present my application to the audit committee.
The recording app, i used, runs in background and lowers the fps rate a little bit. So without recording its more fluently.

First video shows the game in multiplayer mode with sound!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHc-fXSXj8g

Second video presents the singleplayer mode with enhanced physics and sound:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSSE4vFkohw

(btw., youtube really messed up the video's sharpness :( )
More information and screenshots will be coming soon.

Edit: If someone is interested in reading the Master thesis (in German) - just pm me :)

Autoball v0.1a [sneak preview]

Hi all,
after a long time of inactivity on jPCT-forums I want to show you my game for Android systems in a sneak preview.
Autoball is a prototype as a result of my Masterthesis (already printed and published, will be defended and finished soon).
If you are interested in some more information then I will give it to you after my thesis colloquium.
The thesis is about developing Android-3D-Applications with jPCT-AE, jBullet and java.net (for local area network gaming).

Here is a video:
(looks only a lil bit muddy and slow in video!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA94N00REiE
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 01:37:23 pm by kbjansen »

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
Re: Android-Game 'Autoball' [v0.1a] [Sneak Preview]
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:09:27 pm »
How fast is jBullet in your game? I tried it some time ago and it was very slow on mobile devices... Test application has only 8 dynamic and one static box... But in your game is not needed so many objects :)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:37:46 pm »
@Thomas.: Looking at these numbers, i still come to the conclusion that mine and your definition of "very slow" differs slightly... ;)

About the game/video: I smiled when i saw the option to adjust the behaviour of the audience. I don't see any effect of that setting in the video, but i like the option anyway...the video itself misses a little action IMHO, but the physics look nice. Will it be possible to have a look at the thesis once it's finished?

Offline kbjansen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:08:39 pm »
@thomas: ingame I get 49 fps in average, maximum is 60 fps! Only one sphere(ball) and two boxes (both vehicles) are dynamic objects that are handled by jbullet. the other 10 collision objects are the static walls, floor and ceiling. with a raycast vehicle simulation it would be more performance hungry - so i left this out. all in all jbullet works nice with jpct - although the documentation of bullet still sucks, its hard to configure the physics-engine without a good description :/

@egon: the action comes with the sound and multiplayer mode ;)  originally i planned that the audience interacts indirectly with the game members by throwing some bengalos or other stuff into the field to block the player's vehicle.  but now the options emotional, peaceful, off and aggro determine the sound environment.
i will upload another video of a multiplayer match with sound , or maybe upload the apk when network connection over Bluetooth is implemented completely - wifi connection works perfect

and yes, if the thesis is defended you will get the chance to read it, no problem ;)

cya
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:11:23 pm by kbjansen »

Offline MotorRotor

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:59 am »
I would totally play this

Offline Disastorm

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:31 am »
That looks great. I guess it would even be playable online if you open ports.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:59:45 am by Disastorm »

Offline kbjansen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 01:10:08 pm »
Thanks!  :D
An online multiplayer mode is another challenge. But I believe the performance would be terrible with the current setup.
Even the offline multiplayer mode doesn't work like excepted -> The vehicle movements and ball movements are transmitted fast and fluently once per frame (49 fps in average) . But the reassignment of these values to the jBullet physics engine make the game lagg :/ Some optimizations have to been made.
I work on it... Maybe swap jbullet with another physics engine (I guess thats the bottleneck of jBullet that was mentioned by thomas!)

I don't know if this port opening is difficult or not. I think, for an online mode it would be better to create a lobby or guest room. This peer2peer solution isn't good enough for online mode,  imo.
I believe, for online gaming i would put the physics computation to a web server.
but thanks for your thoughts! If you have other ideas just post it :)

Offline kbjansen

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 02:34:41 pm »
Thanks to Thomas jBullet optimization (from here)
the game physics seem to work more fluently. Great Work Thomas and Egon!

Hope this will have big influence to the network mode, updates coming soon.

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:11:32 pm »
Thanks to Thomas jBullet optimization (from here)
the game physics seem to work more fluently. Great Work Thomas and Egon!

I'm glad it helped ;)

Offline kbjansen

• byte
    • View Profile
Re: Android-Game 'Autoball' [v0.1a] [Update 2013-03-23]
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:37:41 pm »
updated first post :)