Author Topic: Range Shooter 3D - my first game  (Read 6907 times)

Offline alegri

• byte
    • View Profile
Range Shooter 3D - my first game
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:12:20 am »
I've finally managed to published my first game using JPCT after long months of working on it. It's a very simple but hopefully fun weapons range simulation with  plenty of weapons and levels to unlock.

I wanted to start with something simple and hopefully my next project will be a bit more complex. The programing part with JPCT was quite simple, what took me a lot was to model the weapons and levels.

The game can be downloaded from Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alegriinteractive.rangeshooter3d

Offline Wolf17

• int
    • View Profile
Re: Range Shooter 3D - my first game
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 12:15:31 pm »
  The weapon models look nice! I downloaded on both my phones and rated it too! But I found one Problem. On my older 600 mhz device, a 90 second game took ~450 seconds to finish . The game timing was 5 times slower the real time. On my 1 ghz phone ,though the time was almost same, still it was not accurate.
Few more suggestions which I can think of are:
1. Animated blowback of pistols and guns for added realism.
2. Environment sounds like bird chirping .

But your game really looks nice!

Offline zbych

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 05:47:34 pm »
The game is nicely done. I think it would be great if you could add targeting with sensors (something like in game "Guncrafter"). Someone after playing my game wrote to me: "try to add control with accelerometer, it is more fun to wave your phone" :D and I agree with that.

Offline Wolf17

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:41:54 pm »
    I have found one bug related to touch controls! If you try to aim the weapon(Without removing your finger off) and then touch anywhere on the screen with other finger , the weapon fires( i.e, you do not need to touch the fire button )! 

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:36 am »
I totally suck at it. I'll never ever reach a score to unlock new weapons or levels... :(

Offline alegri

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:19 pm »
    I have found one bug related to touch controls! If you try to aim the weapon(Without removing your finger off) and then touch anywhere on the screen with other finger , the weapon fires( i.e, you do not need to touch the fire button )!

This is/was actually a feature. It started like this to be able to touch anywhere to fire with second finger, but my friends who tested didn't seem to find it very intuitive so I have added the fire button. Would have liked it more cleanly without the fire button, but I didn't seem to find any easy way of making the user aware.

"On my older 600 mhz device, a 90 second game took ~450 seconds to finish . The game timing was 5 times slower the real time. On my 1 ghz phone ,though the time was "

I'm aware of this issue and I am still looking in a way of fixing it (tried all possible functions that get the time from android including nano time) but the behavior is still the same on some slower devices (e.g. is fine on galaxy s2 and Nexus while  time is too slow on my noname tablet with 1.6 ghz processor). If anyone has any idea on how to fix it I would really appreciate it. I first implemented the time mesurement using the examples on this site then moved to read the time from system but both still have the same issue. Might be just my code that is broken but I cannot explain why on some phones worked while on other the time is too slow....

Glad you like it and thank you for suggestions and reporting the bugs.  Also big thanks to EgonOlsen for the framework and to the creator of Jbrush which was quite helpful.

As I mentioned it's my first Android game and my experience with Java was quite limited before starting. I worked in total 6 months (in the free time I had after coming from work), mostly in my Xmas and Easter holidays but most of the time was spent on weapons modeling and texturing using photos I could find. It's still not 100% as fun as I wanted it to be but hope to keep working on it or expanding from it.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:43:44 pm by alegri »

Offline Wolf17

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:49:07 pm »
   Hi alegri ! Well , if the touch control is a feature , then it is actually good (since that makes my aiming more accurate ) . I would like to suggest you that you may consider it to add in control options (1. fire button,  2. Anywhere point click   etc.)
And yes , the project you brought so far in so less time is really appreciable !

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 08:40:05 pm »
I've added it to the projects page.

Offline MessyAnt

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:35:54 am »
 Hi alegri  ! Can you give me the source (JPCT part) ? i want to study it!

Offline IZACIZAC

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:53:10 pm »
that has a really nice look to it, love the farm