jPCT - a 3d engine for Java > Projects

VoxelShop - voxel editor

<< < (3/7) > >>

aZen:

--- Quote from: EgonOlsen on November 26, 2013, 11:22:45 pm ---I'm using two for each project and they will be rather small. So if you care about these things, make sure that they will look good in 240*y.

--- End quote ---

Ok, great. I'll get back to you!

aZen:
Made two new screenshots (click to enlarge):

And here the 240*y versions:

aZen:
Before I start implementing complicated optimization techniques (I have some cool stuff coming up!), I'd like to ask a few questions.

The following shows profiling done for the same scene rendered with a small frame buffer (200 x 200) and a large frame buffer (2000 x 1000). About the same amount of triangles are visible for both renders. The first number shows the absolute time spend, the second number indicates how often this code snipped was executed, etc.

--- Code: ---buffer.clear([COLOR]); : 1425 / 564 = 2
buffer.display(gr); : 1283 / 564 = 2
drawLinkedOverlay((Graphics2D) buffer.getGraphics()); : 1281 / 564 = 2
buffer.update(); : 1300 / 564 = 2
world.draw(buffer); : 4396 / 564 = 7
world.renderScene(buffer); : 5895 / 564 = 10

buffer.display(gr); : 1928 / 565 = 3
drawLinkedOverlay((Graphics2D) buffer.getGraphics()); : 2830 / 565 = 5
buffer.update(); : 6940 / 565 = 12
buffer.clear([COLOR]); : 8080 / 565 = 14
world.draw(buffer); : 13954 / 565 = 24
world.renderScene(buffer); : 18313 / 565 = 32
--- End code ---

Interestingly the Framebuffer.clear(Color) method "blows up". I was thinking that is must be possible to buffer the content and restore it much faster (e.g. with a low level memcpy). Is this something that you could help me with? Since this is independent of the amount of triangles in the scene (tested that), it's something I'd like to look at first.

Which times do you think will go down (and by how much) if I reduce the overall triangle count (while keeping the exact same rendering area), i.e. low poly model version?

EgonOlsen:
I tried a lot of things to get these operations faster (including native operation via System.arraycopy) and the current solution is the best that i could come up with. The current implementation will use multiple threads if Config.useMultipleThreads is true. Are you using that? If no, it might be worth a try. If yes, it might be worth a try to disable it before clearing and enable it again afterwards.

If you reduce the polygon count, draw might improve as well as renderScene. But with the software renderer, you are usually fill rate bound in almost any case.

Edit: Thanks for the screen shots. I'll add the project, when i find the time.

aZen:

--- Quote from: EgonOlsen on December 03, 2013, 11:41:36 pm ---I tried a lot of things to get these operations faster (including native operation via System.arraycopy) and the current solution is the best that i could come up with. The current implementation will use multiple threads if Config.useMultipleThreads is true. Are you using that? If no, it might be worth a try. If yes, it might be worth a try to disable it before clearing and enable it again afterwards.

--- End quote ---
I was already using multiple threads. Disabling it for the clearing increases the time from 14 to 20 ms. So that's not helping. Guess I will have to accept it. Could you explain what is happening when clearing? As I understand it, it's "just" deleting all the old data and (re)initializing the data structure. Why is that taking such a long time (I'm just curious)?

--- Quote from: EgonOlsen on December 03, 2013, 11:41:36 pm ---If you reduce the polygon count, draw might improve as well as renderScene. But with the software renderer, you are usually fill rate bound in almost any case.

--- End quote ---
Is there a way to determine what the bottle neck is? Considering that the optimization I have in mind is far from trivial I'd be nice to know if it's worth it. If you can think of an easy way to add profiling, that would be very much appreciated!

--- Quote from: EgonOlsen on December 03, 2013, 11:41:36 pm ---Edit: Thanks for the screen shots. I'll add the project, when i find the time.

--- End quote ---
Np, take your time!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version