Author Topic: New Game theory  (Read 1935 times)

Offline bigschottkyd

• byte
    • View Profile
New Game theory
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:32:34 pm »
Hi,
I'm new to Android game development, and have been through the usual OpenGl ES 2.0 tutorials and books.
I found this API while looking for a great starting point, based on the support and the developers attention to detail.
I am wondering if this is the right fit for what I am trying to accomplish however.

I am building an Android HMI (Human machine interface) that will connect to OPC-UA drivers and parse device information back and forth to update the UI.
I want the environment to take these inputs and update colors of my objects.
After dealing with java classes to draw objects using triangles and shader codes (which is very tedious for complex objects) I realized that I could load blender objects which brought me here initially.
So what I am wondering is if I have lets say 1000 objects (which could be mostly duplicates of a small number of objects) and render those with varying colors when my inputs change, what would be a reasonable expectation for performance and what would you recommend for me to begin this game/app/hmi such that I can add features and my own functionality in the future?
Another note:
I'm using Android Studio and trying to install that mesh serializer to work on my object files.
Thanks,
AJ
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:46:12 pm by bigschottkyd »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: New Game theory
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:32:24 am »
1000 visible objects at a time? That's a LOT and performance won't be great. It depends on fast your app needs to be if this is feasible or not, but a 1000 objects per frame means at least 1000 draw calls/frame and that's a huge amount. I would try to setup a simple prototype and see how that turns out if I were you. But that has actually nothing to do with the engine itself. 1000 draw calls are 1000 draw calls no matter if jPCT-AE does them or some custom code of yours. It's slow by design.

About the serializer...I'm not sure if that actually works with Android Studio. I had some trouble with setting up desktop Java applications (what the serializer actually is) in AS, but that might have changed with later versions.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 03:17:17 pm by EgonOlsen »

Offline bigschottkyd

• byte
    • View Profile
Re: New Game theory
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 02:34:50 pm »
I think these objects will have to poll data about once per second to change the states, but they won't necessarily all be visable at one time, all the time, Its basically like a google maps type thing where the user will zoom and pan around the interface. If the serializer is going to boost performance enough, I think I am going to switch over to Eclipse.
Thanks,
I will post back the results of this test.