Author Topic: nervous conduction simulator  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Tibbar

• byte
    • View Profile
nervous conduction simulator
« on: February 28, 2006, 05:38:54 am »
I'm trying to make a dynamic display of animal muscle conducting nervous signals.  The setup is a grid of over 1000 color-coded tissue squares (maybe 10 by 10 pixels each) with different conduction properties.  You can stimulate different areas and view a glow (depolarization) that spreads outwards through the tissue at different rates.

1)  I would like the glow, simulated by shifting the pixel colors at each grid square, to be hardware accelerated yet also run in a Swing environment.  Is it possible to use jPCT for this purpose?  I would like to avoid Java 2D unless you'd get just as good performance.

2)  What renderer and functions would I use (FrameBuffer blits?)  I'm still not clear what framebuffer limitations AWT GL Canvas has.  All I want to do is change pixel RGBs very fast.

3)  Would a hardware accelerated option work on Mac OS X as well?

Thanks.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
nervous conduction simulator
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:00:30 pm »
Hardware renderers work on Mac OSX, Windows and Linux. But setting single pixels when using a hardware renderer (doesn't matter if it's the AWTGL or the "normal" one) will kill performance, because it requires a read from the card (slow) and a new texture upload (slow) in each frame. Maybe it's possible to create what you want in another way, but i'm not quite sure that i've completely understood what this is. Maybe a picture or someting that illustrates the task would help...at least me... :wink: