Author Topic: Naroth - 3D open world RPG  (Read 76080 times)

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
Re: Naroth - 3D open world RPG
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:02 pm »
If it takes too long on some devices, just add a setting to enable or disable autosaving. Also, I think, from experience, that the file size shouldn't change regardless of how much data you have to store (just block out an entire chunk whether or not there's relevant data). I think it was because that is easier to debug, but it also makes sense if you think about the storage (no fragmentation). Does the smaller size matter that much (I think that a The Last of Us save file is 10MB)?

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 08:31:00 pm »
The truth is that it could be annoying. Saving takes about 2 seconds on my SGS6. Many times I forgot to save game progress and after hour of playing I was killed.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »
If it takes too long on some devices, just add a setting to enable or disable autosaving. Also, I think, from experience, that the file size shouldn't change regardless of how much data you have to store (just block out an entire chunk whether or not there's relevant data). I think it was because that is easier to debug, but it also makes sense if you think about the storage (no fragmentation). Does the smaller size matter that much (I think that a The Last of Us save file is 10MB)?
Fragmentation is no issue with flash memory. The save files are between 10 and 80kb (zipped). It's not so much the file access, but the processing time that is required to collect all the data to save that makes it slow (well, not really *slow*...but you get the point).

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 08:40:07 pm »
The truth is that it could be annoying. Saving takes about 2 seconds on my SGS6. Many times I forgot to save game progress and after hour of playing I was killed.
But wouldn't a little reminder pop up here and there help then?

Offline Irony

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 08:55:52 pm »
Players are really spoiled today, hmm?  ::)
One alternative, albeit a rather time-consuming one, would be to automatically save on certain spots, e.g. entering or leaving a dungeon or town, talking to someone, winning a fight (and no enemies nearby) ...

Offline msandin

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2016, 08:45:27 am »
Well, I'm now done with the main quest and just about everything else I can find, save a dungeon where I can't get past the initial room because I seem to lack a key. I've enjoyed the game so thanks, great work!

And the "get stuck with reverted controls" issue hasn't reared it's head since your fix so I'm guessing it's gone. When you save the game it seems to keep on tracking your fingers while it saves which can lead to violent changes in direction once the save is done. I could hazard a guess that this behavior is what caused it to "overshoot". Oh, I like the little spinning disk save sound :-)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:01 am »
It's a recording of the Commodore 1541 floppy disk drive... :)
About the closed dungeon: That's intended. The main quest splits at that point where you have to decide whom to ask for help about the code. Depending on who you choose, one dungeon in the game remains closed to you. The final ending is the same, but how you get there differs a little. The final boss is also different... ;)
Thanks for playing, for the feedback and for having some fun.
Any idea on how long the playthrough took you (approx.)?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:32:32 am by EgonOlsen »

Offline msandin

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 11:42:16 am »
Hmm, that might explain why the save sound put a smile on my face :-) I might have to play it again at some point, bit curious about that last dungeon/final boss, maybe on my 5X rather than on the tablet. I don't know about play time but I don't think it was less than 15 hours.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:54:14 pm by msandin »

Offline msandin

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 08:33:00 am »
I was doing a second play through and think I might have found a couple of issues. I kind of think you're supposed to be able to either complete the "ring of power" quest or keep the ring and use it? The game and one of your earlier comments kind of suggested it. I've tried to wear it but can't seem to find a way to do so. The more serious problem is that I intended to take the alternative ending this time but I don't seem to be able to. I spoke to the water guy and he told me to talk to either of two people. So I walked pretty straight to Gradwin(?) but once I arrived there he suggested that I had already talked to what's-her-name and said he hoped I knew what I was doing. I have talked to her but that was way before I ever got the choice. Bit of a bummer given that this was what I wanted to do the second time around.

As expected play is quite a bit faster now that I've done it before:-)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 10:21:53 am »
I was doing a second play through and think I might have found a couple of issues. I kind of think you're supposed to be able to either complete the "ring of power" quest or keep the ring and use it? The game and one of your earlier comments kind of suggested it. I've tried to wear it but can't seem to find a way to do so.
You can decide to keep it in the dialog when you are supposed to return the ring to the quest giver.
The more serious problem is that I intended to take the alternative ending this time but I don't seem to be able to. I spoke to the water guy and he told me to talk to either of two people. So I walked pretty straight to Gradwin(?) but once I arrived there he suggested that I had already talked to what's-her-name and said he hoped I knew what I was doing. I have talked to her but that was way before I ever got the choice. Bit of a bummer given that this was what I wanted to do the second time around.
That's strange and it shouldn't happen. What's the state of the quests in your quest book? You'll get two different quests, one for Sianor and one for Gradwin. What's the state of both? Are they both active or is one already canceled and/or finished.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2016, 10:34:39 am »
I think I've found the problem in Gradwin's dialog tree. Should be an easy fix. I'll upload a fixed version later today.

Offline msandin

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2016, 10:41:30 am »
None of the quests were cancelled so I guess that a problem with Gradwin's dialog sounds very plausible.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2016, 11:03:46 am »
None of the quests were cancelled so I guess that a problem with Gradwin's dialog sounds very plausible.
Yes. I'm checking for the wrong quest state in the dialog tree. That's pretty stupid, because it blocks the whole quest line. I guess I must have included that part after my tests...can't remember it exactly though...

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2016, 05:26:49 pm »
I've uploaded the update. It might take some hours before it appears on Google Play though.

It should fix Gradwin and make him talk to you again...at least I hope so... ;) Please give it a try and report back if it works now.

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2016, 08:08:30 am »
In some screenshots you have also rain and night. Why did you remove it from final version?