Author Topic: Transparent tips  (Read 2202 times)

Offline clown611

• byte
    • View Profile
Transparent tips
« on: March 13, 2017, 07:56:53 pm »
Hi again friends, I bought a model from fiverr with a transparent part. When I loaded in the model there was no transparency. I splitted upp the modell and used the transperancycommand to make it transparent and then put it on the other modell. Is this a bad way? or do you have another way of doing this?

Offline clown611

• byte
    • View Profile
Re: Transparent tips
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:06:10 pm »
Well after reading I learned that you cant combine transparent and none transparent. I choose to make it faketransparent with a texture. I have just one question, can you import modells with transparency?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:54:29 am »
I'm not sure what you mean exactly!? You can't mix transparent and non-transparent polygons in one object...you just can't. If your models contains both, it should be exported in a way that the transparent and opaque parts are actually loaded in into different Object3D instances. Just don't merge these into one in your code and you should be fine. If that's not the case...tough luck.
Then there are models where transparency doesn't really work will (because it's not order independent like opaque and if the object has overlapping parts, it might look strange from some angles). If that's the case, you could revert to stippled alpha instead, but you need your own shader for it. I could provide you with an example if that's needed.

Offline clown611

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:49:00 pm »
Hi boss I learned things along the way. So my solution was to load the glass and the ship into sepparate models. And then I made a child of the glass.