jPCT - a 3d engine for Java > Support

Asymmetrical Scaling

(1/7) > >>

AGP:
I'm trying to create a flickering glow. To that end, I wrote the following thickening method in a vertex controller. The problem happens when the base object, from which the glow object is created, is rotated because the glow appears to be modified in worldspace as opposed to in objectspace. What should I do to calculate the x/z distortion in objectspace?

--- Code: ---     public void thicken(final float deltaTime) {
SimpleVector[] vertices = this.getSourceMesh();
SimpleVector[] destination = this.getDestinationMesh();
for (int i = 0; i < vertices.length; i++) {
     SimpleVector v = vertices[i];
     v.x *= (1f+deltaTime);
     v.z *= (1f+deltaTime);
     destination[i] = v;
}
this.updateMesh();
     }

--- End code ---

EgonOlsen:
The vertex controller works in object space, not in world space. What exactly is the problem?

AGP:
Obviously, that it's scaling in the wrong axis. But only in my real-world use. The test in which I didn't rotate the object worked fine.

EgonOlsen:
Must be something else then. The controller works in object space. I don't see how this code snippet alone can cause wrong scaling unless the object is somehow rotated around Z and your Z-scaling should actually be Y.

AGP:
That's weird. I actually have two different, possibly related, problems. The second one is that the glow object, though both parallel and near the original object, is not in the exact same space as the original object. Yet I initialize it like so:

--- Code: ---glow = new Object3D(obj, false);

--- End code ---

Do you have to call build() on the glow object? Also, does getTransformedCenter() always consider the translations of all parents? Because I can't place the glow over the glower even with:

--- Code: ---SimpleVector to = obj.getTransformedCenter();
SimpleVector o = glow.getTransformedCenter();
glow.translate(to.x-o.x, to.y-o.y, to.z-o.z);

--- End code ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version