Author Topic: problem with hardware renderer  (Read 8016 times)

Offline mogli

• byte
    • View Profile
problem with hardware renderer
« on: June 28, 2006, 05:18:14 pm »
sorry, i don't find the right topic for my problem.

i port my applet to an java application for a "download" version or webstart (testing phase for me ;) )

the problem is that the application should work on pcs in my company and users haven't the permission to install a newer graphics-driver. ;)
i got the following exception when stating the application on the companys pc when switching to hardware renderer.

Code: [Select]
default mode: sun.awt.Win32GraphicsConfig@77a7f9[dev=Win32GraphicsDevice[screen=
0],pixfmt=0]
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not find a valid pixel format
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Win32PeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Win32PeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(Win32PeerInfo.java:5
2)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Win32DisplayPeerInfo.<init>(Win32DisplayPeerInfo.jav
a:50)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Win32Display.createPeerInfo(Win32Display.java:93)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:656)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:632)
        at com.threed.jpct.GLHelper.init(Unknown Source)
        at com.threed.jpct.GLRenderer.init(Unknown Source)
        at com.threed.jpct.FrameBuffer.enableRenderer(Unknown Source)

videomodes are listed when using VideoMode v[] = buffer.getVideoModes(IRenderer.RENDERER_OPENGL);

is it possible to download a newer opengl32.dll or something like that? in the systems32 is placed a opengl32.dll.

i don't really know if the driver version is the problem or it is another prob. could be nice if someone could help me.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 05:48:53 pm »
To get updated OpenGL, you've to update the drivers. There's no other way. If that helps with your particular problem depends on what hardware/driver combo you currently have. Which graphics card/chip is that and are you using the default Windows drivers (which don't offer hardware accelerated OpenGL) or drivers from the vendor of the card/chip?

Offline mogli

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 06:19:57 pm »
it is a intel card. now, i'm at home. to tell the exact one i have to look tomorrow.
i think this is the default driver from windows. i tried to install the driver from vendor but i haven't the permission to do this.

perhaps, is there another way to use the driver by loading the driver at my one with my app?

edit: i downloaded the driver-package from intel. i found inside two dlls that are the libs for opengl (iglicd32.dll, igldev32.dll). is there a possible way to use these libs with my app? is it enough to place it also in the lib-dir where the wljgl are located?

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:21:13 pm »
Quote from: "mogli"
edit: i downloaded the driver-package from intel. i found inside two dlls that are the libs for opengl (iglicd32.dll, igldev32.dll). is there a possible way to use these libs with my app? is it enough to place it also in the lib-dir where the wljgl are located?
I have no idea. But i doubt it, because they'll most likely access the other driver dlls too, which are a different version then.

Offline mogli

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 10:11:23 am »
hmm, don't work. i think there must be an entry in registry for these libs. :(

the card is a 82865g from intel. full 2d/3d hw acceleration is supported.

the application must be presented on a pc with newest driver and if they enjoy it they have to give the orders to it departement to install the drivers on all employee-pcs  ;)

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:01:48 am »
lwjgl is a java implementation of Open GL  wich is natively written in C. Your video card have a driver that can be compatible or not with Open GL. But it doens mean that the dlls of your video card are the same then the lwjgl ones.
Nada por ahora

Offline mogli

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 09:04:16 am »
i don't really know what you want to say me with this...sry.

i know that lwjgl is an implementation of opengl but for hardwarerenderer it has tu use the openldriver or interface from the vendor, isn't it?

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 02:11:59 pm »
lwjgl uses the dll file to use the OGL. the dlls of the driver arent usefull for you because I dont hink that lwjgl comunicates directly with the video card dlls.

I guess that you must tell them to install the newest drivers, on their PCs.
Nada por ahora

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 03:10:15 pm »
Quote from: "Melssj5"
lwjgl uses the dll file to use the OGL. the dlls of the driver arent usefull for you because I dont hink that lwjgl comunicates directly with the video card dlls.
Not directly but with the Opengl.dll in system32, which itself accesses the video card's drivers. OpenGL is a client/server concept. The opengl32.dll is the client, the video card's driver is the server.

@mogli: Are you sure that this is caused by the drivers and not by a too optimistic video mode selection on your side? I'm using a 82845G based machine here at work with quite recent drivers. It should behave similar, so if you can offer you application for download, i can test it on this machine. Maybe that helps!?

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 04:34:03 pm »
On the University There are P4 3.0 Ghz with intel 915 boards, and I cant run my jpct apps there (same exception). Maybe there are installed the drivers that windows installed by itself. I had the same problem on my laptop, it has a GeForce 2 GO and couldnt run my open GL programs there (same exception) until I downloaded newer drivers.
Nada por ahora

Offline manumoi

• long
    • View Profile
    • http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~blanchae
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 11:07:08 am »
I got the same exception on some computers at my university. I remarked that they didn t support direct rendering (was on linux... i used "glxinfo" to get this information if i remember correctly). I asked my support to change the driver and it worked well after that. So try to find a more recent driver for the videocard

Manu