Author Topic: Support for UVW Angle?  (Read 5384 times)

Offline ToddMcF2002

• long
    • View Profile
Support for UVW Angle?
« on: May 14, 2007, 04:22:46 am »
I was doing a tiling textures test in Max and came up with an unexpected result in JPCT.  In the pic below I've circled the UVW angle adjustment settings in red.  If I zero out those values I get what I'm seeing in JPCT.  Is the loader ignoring those values?

Is there a suggested way to do this sort of texture tiling if angles are not supported???

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Support for UVW Angle?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:30:23 pm »
As mentioned in other threads here in the forum: The loader is based on some reversed engineered file format descriptions. None of those mentions this W-value. I've also looked into the loader's code: There's no space for the w-value where i would expect it to be if it were part of the file. Does the 3ds-format really supports this value? Or is it MAX-specific. I've never seen a model using such thing... ???
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 05:50:15 pm by EgonOlsen »

Offline ToddMcF2002

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 05:48:16 pm »
Got me.  I think to fix this problem I need to add a UVW Modifier and rotate the textures.  The other values seem to be applied correctly - namely the tiling parameters.  I'll try it tonight and give feedback.

Offline ToddMcF2002

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 01:52:01 am »
Being right about being wrong is better than never being right.

Offline hytparadisee

• int
    • View Profile
    • http://peterhi.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:08:35 am »
Sorry I am also very worried about this. But I do not totally understand how you solve this problem. Is it like I should not use the UVW angles in the material editor in MAX? If not, where to I set the values to rotate a texture correctly? Perhaps one of the modifiers?

A detailed explanation is much appreciated, cos I'm kinda freak reading English. ;D

Edit: Hey you're using laptop to make games also!
Today I finally found a problem to my soluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuution

Offline ToddMcF2002

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 05:25:18 am »
Exactly.  Stay far away from the Material editor and use a UVW Map (different than a UVW Unwrap).  One you add the modifier, you just select the gizmo and you can rotate the gizmo which rotates the texture.  Rotation there is just like when you are modeling so its actually better than what the Material Editor has.  Then you modify the UV coordinates again in the rollout for the Modifier, not the Material Editor.  That takes care of the tiling stretch after you have adjusted the rotation.

Really its the same thing but its cleaner using the Modifier and more importantly it actually works.  Finally, you need to collapse the stack before moving on to the next polygon face that needs adjustment or the modifier will unwind itself.  I found that annoying but its not a big deal.  Collapsing the stack is not a true commitment like when you are modeling because you can always go back and add a new UVW Map modifier again.  I did that to correct one path segment that was slightly off.

Hope that is clear.  Try it on a test like I did - its painless.

Offline ToddMcF2002

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 05:33:52 am »
Yeah I love laptops.  I'm thinking of getting one of those Vigor Atlantis 20'1 LCD SLI laptops.  This IBM T60 15'4" screen is killing me.  It has a great resolution (1920x1200) but its just too freakin small.  The Vigor has a lower resolution (1680x1050) but resolution isnt everything.  Plus once you render its a moot issue really. 

Bigger is better.