Author Topic: 3DCov(Java3d->jpct port)  (Read 9970 times)

Offline Jonas

• byte
    • View Profile
3DCov(Java3d->jpct port)
« on: January 01, 2008, 01:03:16 pm »
Hi
As part of a term project, a friend and I been working on porting a little visualisation tool from Java3d over to jpct(pure software mode) the last ~2-3 weeks.
This was done because people kept having troubles running it under Java3d. The new version runs suprisingly smooth(given
a few things are probably implemented quite inefficient ;D due to lack of time) even on low end computers.

The tool's named 3DCov and is used to visualize the relation between classes and objects(for OO beginners). Following a few screens of a loaded diagram:

2d/3d view. 2d is done using JGraph
Some classes/objects moved around
Popup menu
Labels(multiplicity, roles, ...)

Happy new year everyone :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 11:21:35 am by Jonas »
Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible - Alan Kay

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: 3DCov(Java3d->jpct port)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 04:34:36 pm »
Looks nice! Judging from the fps count, i assume that you render the scene in a loop and as fast as possible? If so, then maybe changing that to event based will help to reduce cpu load plus you can render an anti-aliased version of it in case that no further events occur during a given time frame.

Offline Jonas

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 04:48:44 pm »
Loop yes, as fast as possible no(that be a lot higher fps). The target fps is set to 20.

Changing to an event based rendering is something I wanted to do, but implementing all functionality was
more important and took up all our time(which wasn't that much to begin with anyway :D).

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 08:23:29 pm »
Loop yes, as fast as possible no(that be a lot higher fps). The target fps is set to 20.
Sounds reasonable. Then an event driven approach may not give you that much anymore. Has this project a homepage? Something i can link to from the projects section?

Offline Jonas

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:03:43 pm »
We don't have a homepage, and I doub't that anything is planned. I will ask after holidays are over though.

edit: Just tried oversampling...works nicely and really looks good. Rendering is smooth. However, it kinda breaks picking(do i have to scale the x/y position im using at reprojection or something?)..didn't investigate it any further.

edit2: Yep, didn't scale. Seems to work great now. ;D

« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:13:16 pm by Jonas »

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:09:37 pm »
Looks cool. Good way for beginners(like me) to visualize the relationships.