jPCT-AE - a 3d engine for Android > Support

Started to write some game prototype...

(1/3) > >>

EgonOlsen:
I used some classes from Robombs to create a very early prototype of some game. I'm not sure what exactly this is going to be. Right now, you can make this white sphere jump around in the level by pointing to the new position. The idea is to create a kind on indirect movement, where you just specify the target location, not the exact path to it. This is because i'm unhappy with ~90% of the controls that i found in games for Android and i *think* that this might work better for some kind of games. Anyway, it looks like this (it runs a bit faster on the actual device, around 20 fps):

zammbi:
Looks good, I'm happy to test when your ready :)

EgonOlsen:
The prototype has improved somewhat and now looks like this (screen shot taken from the actual device):

In the screen shot, you can see a part of the level, the player and some flags that mark the path to the choosen target towards which the player is moving.

I've learned several things while coding this:

* garbage collection sucks on Dalvik. The hickups are really noticable, so try to avoid object creation whenever possible.
* the GPU's texture cache has a hard time if the textures aren't applied in the way it likes it best. What that means is that rotating a polygon by 90 degree can result in a noticable performance drop...not nice.
* i've still no idea what kind of game play this should have at the end to be at least some fun...

zammbi:
Could make it that you need to collect all gems/coins in a stage while avoiding death by traps, enemies and what not.
Basically a puzzle game.

EgonOlsen:
Yeah, something like that...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version