jPCT-AE - a 3d engine for Android > Support

compatibility with desktop version

<< < (3/3)

raft:
mm ok, i had misunderstood you :-[ indeed i wasnt aware of that feature in eclipse.
that will work (and worked indeed) for RGBColor, thanks ;D but for the rest my two cents still remains. it's your call of course ;)

EgonOlsen:
For the Light class, you can solve this by doing imports with wildcards only IMHO. I.e. import com.threed.jpct.* and com.threed.jpct.util.* in all classes that are using Light. The worst thing that may happen in the Android project is a warning about an unused import.

raft:
that should work but come on, that's only a hack. that's not the right way to do it. i may prefer abstracting light to it.
anyway it's your decision ;)

EgonOlsen:
Yes, it's a bit hacky... ;D However, i'm really not sure what would be best here...maybe moving jPCT's Light class from util to the main package is the best option. Moving the AE-version into util is worse, because it would hide the only way to work with lights in AE in a package where nobody would search for it. But moving it into the main package leaves me with Lights and Light in the same package which can be even more confusing than the current state.

The idea behind moving and cutting some stuff for AE was to keep the APIs as similar as possible to ease porting while still taking the opportunity to clean up some things and to tailor the API to the platform. I didn't really expected people (and that includes me) to use both APIs for one project very often. The target audience is just too different IMHO.

??? ???

raft:
moving Light from util to main package sounds to be the best option. besides it breaks backward compatibility. i dont agree having two classes called Lights and Light will create confusion. it's like Collections and Collection. you can even change the name if dont care about backward compatibility. or deprecate one and remove a few releases later

personally i think cutting some functionality off from AE makes sense as they are not supported there. but moving functionality does not.

--- Quote ---I didn't really expected people (and that includes me) to use both APIs for one project very often. The target audience is just too different IMHO.
--- End quote ---
arguable. even if this is the case, different applications may share some libraries. for example i use some of karga classes in my game. luckily you didnt change SimpleVector's name to Vector3 or so ;D

anyway, your call ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version