jPCT - a 3d engine for Java > Projects

"Visual" JPCT

<< < (2/5) > >>

quixote_arg:
No need to wait for a solid state! You can release it and we can all contribute to it

Crate:
:) thx for the feedback. First release is coming up. There are still some bugs to fix and I want to finish saving scenes, so that it hase some use...

Crate:
I don't know if anyone cares, but here goes... ;)

Egon asked about the AWTGLRenderer and there is a problem for you, because it uses a heavy weight canvas (lwjgl does, not his fault). Those really don't mix well with Swing.  Look at this: http://java.sun.com/products/jfc/tsc/articles/mixing/ (Guideline  No. 3, for example)

Well, I thought, what else is out there? SWT/JFace.  I found this http://www.eclipse.org/swt/opengl/ and it seems promising, since swt is "completely heavy weight" . You can use lwgjl in swt/jface, so it should work well with jpct - although I haven't tried it. Besides, I like eclipse.

Now I find out SWT doesn't support MDI! Bugger. I like MDI, especially for this application, because it has a lot of different objects to be manipulated and the user could place and size them as he wants.

Now what? If every object gets its own window, the desktop will clutter. Using a big tabbed interface would be very silly for small objects. If each object does get its very own app window, I might as well use MDI and swing again and only pop up the AWTGL in its own window.

I need to sleep over this. If anyone has a sugestion, I'm all ears.

EgonOlsen:
IIRC, it is possible to mix the AWTGLCanvas with Swing components, i just don't know how. I think that i've seen some info about it in lwjgl forums, but i'm not quite sure where to look for it. Isn't there a kind of "workaround" or "trick" to use heavy weight components in combination with swing!? I've seen some screenshots or "before" and "after"...i just can't remember where it was... :oops:

Edit: Here's something about making lightweight components heavyweight...don't know, if it helps: http://www.javagaming.org/forums/index.php?topic=10697.0

raft:
Crate, why do you plan to use swt instead of awt ? you're true for mixing awt and swing has some problems, but if necessary you can stick to awt. it will run well with AWTGLRenderer as the name implies. life is easier with pure java components.

as you know, the major problem with awt swing combination is awt components are drawn on top swing ones regardless of their z-order. but this doesnt mean you can not use swing features: JLayeredPane (and hence JDesktopPane) effectively layouts and z-orders awt components, which means you can still use JDesktopPane and JInternalFrames for MDI. only titles bars and borders of internal frames will be hidden below awt components. you're working on a helper application, not a commercial one that will go to customer so it doesnt matter so much IMHO. if you care you can still implement your own internal frames on top of awt: basicly they're nothing but dragable and click sensitive components

this is what a thought at a glance

--- Code: ---r a f t
--- End code ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version