jPCT - a 3d engine for Java > Projects

Werdy World - A Childrens Game

(1/3) > >>

ToddMcF2002:
A basic 3rd person non violent platform type.  This is just a test level for framerate, lighting and some crude landscape models.  I did all the modeling except the "hut" which was a turbosquid freebie.  The framerate is about 70-140 on my Centrino IBM T60 with a Radeon x1400.  The test level is pretty large - the OC Tree size is 30800 for the landscape alone.

EgonOlsen:
Nice and colorful...  :) I'll add it to the projects page on monday if you don't mind.

ToddMcF2002:
Not at all.  The Werdy character was designed by my 6 year old BTW.  In crayon, not in Max.  That will stay - plus the trees with better textures.  Everything else may change but I like the heightmap look in general.

I should point out the game concept:  A kids RPG.  For example - a troll might block a bridge and demand an apple pie for passage.  Werdy will have to find the ingredients and make the pie.  I'll blit the requirements on the screen such as 2 of 6 apples found etc.  Werdy might have to do a side quest to get some NPC to give access to an oven to bake the pie.

That's the idea.  Basic main quest / side quest structure.  Lots of jumping and climbing to keep kids interested.  The roll advancement will be in the form of powerups such as jet packs and roller blades.

My kids were playing it this morning and really like it - since Werdy is rigged for running, jumping and back flipping etc.  Timed right he can jump while still falling and gain additional height to get on top of structures such as that hut.  Of course they are equally excited by walking through the skybox but hey its a start.

I installed it on my desktop 3.2Ghz x850xt and it gets about 60FPS.  The real levels will be more hemmed in but with lots of objects I think this test level is pretty indicitive of performance.  I was intentionally wasteful of the polys for the test level - you are only seeing about 20% of it in the screenshots and the plane used for heightmap is very dense.

ToddMcF2002:
Just for grins and giggles - here is a low quality video of it:
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x132/ToddMcF2002/?action=view&current=0aeb5f30.flv

EgonOlsen:
The video is cool. I've added the game to the projects section.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version