Author Topic: Object3D Editor  (Read 31571 times)

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
Object3D Editor
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:25:22 am »
Current Status May 29,08>>I have uploaded a new version of the Editor. This version fixes some problems.

This project is a for creating a simple 3D modeler program for Object3Ds.

With the current version you can create an Object3D from scratch or open up any Object that jpct can load and edit it(3DS,ASC,MD2...).

By editing I mean: setting polygon textures, setting whole object textures, changing polygon vertex data, and adding pre-built objects(cubes, triangles, spheres, planes...) to an object. Plus a few more settings.

When you have the object looking how you want it, you can save a serialized version of the object's mesh, a xml file that contains just the object specified by the jpct dtd, or a xml file that cotains jpct xml file, and extra information that you set in the editor. This third option will copies the necessary image files in to the directory in which you save the xml file. There is a jar file(with class files in it) that you can use to load the object for your jpct program from the xml file. The source is also there.

This is the current version of the program. It has everything implemented! If you have find a bug, please tell me!
This download contains all the files necessary to run the program. It also contains the source.

www.geocities.com/thejavaman2/Object3DEditor.zip

java -cp Object3DEditor.jar -splash:splash.jpg -Xmx400m Controller
The number after the Xmx option is the minimum amount of memory necessary to run the program. If you are running the program with large objects, and it crashes with a java heap space exception, I suggest you increase the number.

If anyone downloads it, and you have a question, just ask.

Here the program is running with some transparent triangles with textureinfo.

Here is a quick step-by-step to create an object and add a triangle to it.
1: Click New>Object3D Basic
2: fill in the max triangles and the name of the Object3D as seen here.

3: Click on the corresponding button in the left panel which has the title of your new object3d as its title.
    The scroll ares will then update to reflect the selected object that the button represents.
4: Scroll down in the left scroll area and click the triangle button.

5. Then fill in the values for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd vectors. The row next to the 1 represent the values for what you could picture as in addTriangle(1strow,2ndrow,3rdrod); Then click the done button.

Here are some instructions on how to move the camera.

Some instructions on changing vertex data of polygon.

Info, on texture creation:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 05:42:57 am by JavaMan »

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Object3D Editor project
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:35:55 pm »
I like the idea. However, i can't see your picture anymore...it doesn't seem to load. I saw it once but now it seems to be gone... :(

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:41:11 am »
I tried out a different image hoster. This image hoster also allowed me to resize the image so now it isn't so big. Hope this one loads. It wouldn't load for me either today, but when I tried looked at it tonight, it loaded. Maybe this host will work better. Thanks for telling me that.!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 04:07:41 am by JavaMan »

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:24:13 pm »
Hi everyone,
I got some time to work on the project, and it is in usable shape. All the buttons don't work, and I am going to change how the camera panel works, but now you can create a new object, add triangles to it, and save it as a serialized object file. I just added the serialize option, so I could save the Object3D in some way.
If you want to check it out you can download the zip file here.
This includes the source, which is not cleaned up yet.
http://www.savefile.com/files/1343974
]
Jman
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:49:55 pm by JavaMan »

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
Re: Object3D Editor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:13:33 am »
Hi,
Just to let anyone know, this project isn't dead. I am still working on it, but I am considering changing the implementation because the program is hogging mem and I think there is too much coupling.
So, to anybody who was interested in using the program in the future-it may be a while before its done; but I still want to build it.

Jman

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 10:52:28 am »
If you don't mind, i'll add it to the projects page next week and link to this thread and to the download. Is the download representing the current version?

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 05:30:28 pm »
Thats fine if you put it on the projects page. Yes that link is to the latest version.

By the way, that link is to a free file hoster I found, so my file will expire in 30 days unless I reupload it.  >:( Do you know of a free file manager that I could use that doesn't require information other than email that will host files for longer than 30days? I don't mind reuploading it, but every time I reupload it, you would have to re-create the link on the projects page.

I hope when I get the program done, it will help to make the engine more popular. ;D
Jman
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 01:09:50 am by JavaMan »

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 03:50:57 am »
I'm not sure what you mean about nothing more than email, but filefront is a great file hoster that's free and never stops.  It has unlimited downloads.  You have to join and get a password.  You can keep a blog there too if you want. 
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:00:57 am »
I'm not sure what you mean about nothing more than email

I don't want to give the file hoster any personal info but an email address. For instance, youtube requires a zip code.

I'm not sure what you mean about nothing more than email, but filefront is a great file hoster that's free and never stops.  It has unlimited downloads.  You have to join and get a password.  You can keep a blog there too if you want. 

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 05:01:06 am »
Hi,
I uploaded the latest version of the program. It isn't a lot different than the previous version except that how I have the program looking is how it is going to stay. I'm not going to change it again. If someone downloads the app, and has a question about how to do something, just post it here, and I will respond asap.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 11:15:15 am »
Some menus are not usable on 1280*1024, because the 3d canvas is rendered on top them them. Apart from that, i'm unable to add create something that is actually visible in the 3d canvas. Can you give short step-by-step-introduction of how to add a primitive and view it (for example a cube)? I managed to add a cube (at least i think so), it's just that i don't see it in the canvas!?

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 11:53:39 pm »
Hi,
I posted a new version with some fixes.
Some menus are not usable on 1280*1024, because the 3d canvas is rendered on top them them.
I noticed that, but forgot about fixing. It is now fixed.

Apart from that, i'm unable to add create something that is actually visible in the 3d canvas. Can you give short step-by-step-introduction of how to add a primitive and view it (for example a cube)? I managed to add a cube (at least i think so), it's just that i don't see it in the canvas!?

Sorry, I forgot to say that everything in the previous version did not respond how it seemed how it should respond. I uploaded a new version, and anything that does not respond, is disabled or says <>NOT YET IMPLEMENTED<> beside its text. So, actually when you clicked cube, nothing happened. In this version, all that can be added is triangles, but I hope to allow more objects to be added. 

Jman
If anyone downloads it, and you have a question, just ask...
The download at the top of the page reflects the latest changes.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 02:10:29 pm by JavaMan »

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 03:04:23 pm »
Hey all,
There may not be an update on this project for a while. I'm stuck with terrain creation because I just can't get it fast enough, and I believe that will be the same thing when I start working on shaper. So, I may quit this project, or step back from it. I don't know. I almost always finish the things I start, but I have been working with this terrain thing for a month and I just can't get it faster.

If someone wants the current source, I will upload it. Its pretty messy, but I will answer any questions about it.

Jman

Kearnan

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 12:37:38 am »
Jman, Very nice Swing usage; really impressive.  I'd certainly be interested in the source code and perhaps, time permitting, I could add a thing or two to your Editor.  Also, I'd be happy to host the files on Icebase10.com so you don't have to deal with the odd file hosting services out there.

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 08:01:58 pm »
Jman, Very nice Swing usage; really impressive.

Thanks. Swing is super easy so it wasn't all that hard. But thanks anyways.

I'd certainly be interested in the source code and perhaps, time permitting, I could add a thing or two to your Editor.

If you get some time and want to add something sure! That would be great. I was working on it this morning and I think I have the terrain mod fast enough. I'd like it faster, but its good enough for creating terrains. So, when I get the terrain mod done a little more I'll upload the current source.

Also, I'd be happy to host the files on Icebase10.com so you don't have to deal with the odd file hosting services out there.
You can host it. That's fine with me. I'll also put it on my free (Junky)Yahoo site when I get it a little more done.
Jman

Hey, Kernean I'm going to try to post the source as it is now tonight. Sorry I took so long. Last week I was preparing for my ACT test, and wasn't doing in Java. painful
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 09:55:03 pm by JavaMan »