Author Topic: Applet & memory concerns  (Read 15848 times)

Offline nouknouk

• byte
    • View Profile
Re: Applet & memory concerns
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 04:32:21 pm »
That question has been asked before and the answer was "Becausse I want it on that way".  8)
Well, you reassure myself.
I would have been ashamed if I asked a question for which someone already answered in the forum ;D

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 04:41:22 pm »
Its okay. The search engine of the forums is not working well, and asking is the only way to get knowledgment. Feel free to ask whatever you need.
Nada por ahora

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 07:21:00 pm »
The search engine of the forums is not working well...
Yes, and i hate it for that. It works when i'm deleting some tables' content on the database, but that marks all posts as new and such. When the tables fill, it stops working again. My install seems to be the only one with this problem or other users of this forum software simply don't search. Support is bad for this forum...it took my days if not weeks to clarify what i was talking about because nobody felt the urge to actually do what i had written in my bug report and execute a simple search in this forum...anyway, the rest of the forum is fine and it doesn't get hacked all the time like phpBB, so i'll live with that fault... :'(

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 12:10:58 am »
That question has been asked before and the answer was "Becausse I want it on that way". 
Basically he's willing to give the software for free but wants ownership.  I don't see any problem with that.  It takes more than software just being open source.  For instance, the Blender game engine is open source and was nearly abandoned for years until just recently.  The important thing with software is to see if there have been recent updates because that shows the code is being maintained and updated.  One common problem with open source software is code bloat and that would be pretty bad for an engine that needs to load while someone is waiting. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:15:18 am by fireside »
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline nouknouk

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 12:35:06 am »
IMHO:

Distributing source code means neither loosing its ownership nor the possibility to keep the control of its evolution.
It has several advantages:
- on 'user' side: being able to better understand how things are done by looking at the code and being able to 'tune' little parts for their own speific use.
- on 'creator' side, to enhance the support by letting users suggest fixes for bugs and/or improvements instead of simple bug reports or ideas. That doesn't means the owner is forced to accept/include them. But it means less work for the 'creator' of the framework.

A good example is a framework I currently use for 'eye candy' 2D applets: pulpCore (under LGPL license).

The official repository is maintained only by its creator (David Brackeen). In other words, David is the only one that has got a write acces to SVN.
But users are highly encouraged to propose new features and/or bug fixes.

On my side, having the source code made:
- I have been able to suggest full fixes for some bugs I noticed.
- I have been able to 'tune' the original framework for the development of kind of personal isometric engine

To avoid any troll: I'm not piece of "open source fanatic" and there's no value judgment on my side.
Just another point of view, nothing more.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:41:48 am by nouknouk »

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 02:19:52 am »
Valid points.  Still, it's up to the author and you have to respect their wishes.  Anyone, I think, can fork code if it's open source, so that might enter in.  I, personally, am a fan of open source software myself.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:27:03 am by fireside »
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline nouknouk

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 09:41:17 am »
Still, it's up to the author and you have to respect their wishes.
For sure, i never said anything else.

Anyone, I think, can fork code if it's open source, so that might enter in.
Yes anybody can. But in real life, real cases of fork in open source projects are the exception ; it never happens for small or medium sized projects.

Two main reasons:

- as the framework is open source, there is no more temptation to take the ownership of the code. And even if there was, it is totally impossible to make a fork and claim seriously that you are the creator : it's too easy to point similarities between two projects having the same basis (even if it's compiled and/or obfuscated).

- Even if a fork happens, it probably won't survive for a long time : making support of such a project involves a great amount of time for his author. And there are too few people ready to spent their time to support such fork.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 08:58:38 pm »
We've had this discussion several times and i don't want to go into too much detail now, because i would only repeat myself. "Because i want it that way" summarizes it quite well. Your points are all valid and it's not that i haven't evaluated them in the past, but after thinking about what i want from this project, how i want it to be and how i want it to be maintained, i decided against open sourcing it. Looking back, i don't think that this was such a bad decision. I've seen many similar open source projects dying or if they aren't dead yet, they seem to be halted for a very long time now.
I'm open sourcing everything else (like example, all my games and pseudo-games...)...just not the engine itself. Some can live with that, some don't. That's the way it is...
And about bugs: I would like to hear which bugs that were, that you've discovered (except for that memory hog in the loader)...!?

Offline nouknouk

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 11:02:55 am »
about bugs: I would like to hear which bugs that were, that you've discovered (except for that memory hog in the loader)...!?
If you're takling about my post before, i was talking about my experience in the pulpcore framework, not jpct.
So don't worry, I ddn't found any bug in JPCT for the moment ;)

Thanks for your license details, anyway.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 09:20:37 pm »
So don't worry, I ddn't found any bug in JPCT for the moment ;)
That's why it doesn't have to be open source... ;)
Anyway, i've fixed the 3ds-loader thing and made saveMemory save more memory. You may download a jar from here: http://www.jpct.net/download/beta/jpct.jar
It's the most current version of 1.17 that there is. I consider this to be a release candidate. Please give it a try and see if it helps in your case. If you (or anyone else) uses the hardware renderer: This release is using LWJGL2.0 and doesn't support 1.x any longer. You can download 2.0rc2 from http://lwjgl.org or extract the one from Robombs (http://jpct.de/robombs.game)...it's more current and contains two fixes for Windows that the rc2 on the homepage doesn't.