Author Topic: Helicopter Balls (new and improved)  (Read 5901 times)

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Helicopter Balls (new and improved)
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:38:06 pm »
I finally got around to working on the new and improved Helicopter Balls applet today.  I've got pretty much everything working the way I want it to, except that I have that darn random lag problem again when using LWJGL OpenAL + OpenGL.  This prevents me from using OpenAL for sound while doing hardware rendering for graphics, until I can figure out what is causing this.  The problem is most apparent when there are large numbers of polygons and numerous simultaneous sources playing.

At any rate, here is the applet (using JavaSound for audio):

Helicopter Balls

The source code is a little ugly at the moment, so I'll post it after I clean it up a bit.

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Helicopter Balls (new and improved)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:09:00 am »
Is anyone else getting a "Fatal error occured (5): null" when they run the above applet?  It was working fine for me for a while, then it stopped working.  I've tried re-uploading it, clearing temporary internet files, etc. but can't get it to work again.  I'm not sure if it is a problem with my browser or the applet.  I posted a question on the lwjgl forums about it as well.

--EDIT--
Switching to the latest LWJGL nightly build and using the 'separate_jvm' parameter seems to have corrected the problem.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:58:02 am by paulscode »

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Helicopter Balls (new and improved)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 02:15:11 am »
SWEET!  Using the latest version of LWJGL also corrected the OpenAL+OpenGL lag problem!  I changed the applet back to using OpenAL (with JavaSound as backup option if OpenAL fails):

Helicopter Balls Applet

I also cleaned up the source code:

Helicopter Balls Source

It currently uses the SoundSystem core instead of SoundSystemJPCT, which I am currently working on (adding support for the new URL infrastructure).  I'll post a SoundSystem JPCT version of this applet and the source code when I get it finished.

Please let me know if there are any problems with the applet.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:00:18 am by paulscode »