Author Topic: What does jPCT stand for?  (Read 14709 times)

Offline Kaiidyn

• long
    • View Profile
What does jPCT stand for?
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
Just wondering..
Clean code is simple and direct. Clean code reads like well-written prose. Clean code never obscures the designer’s intent but rather is full of crisp abstractions and straightforward lines of control. - Grady Booch

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: What does jPCT stand for?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:46:27 pm »
There's a five year old thread answering this, but instead of linking to it, i'll elaborate a little more on it. The j is easy, it stands for Java. And PCT...well, back in the good old DOS-days, i started writing 3d stuff on the PC. I started with some engine that was somewhere between Wolfenstein 3D and  Doom. It had texture mapped walls, floors and ceilings and was capable of doing simple fogging and lighting effects. It was called Textmap for texture mapping. Back in these days, the next big thing for everybody was texture mapping of arbitrary surfaces, not just walls and floors. The easy but ugly approach was affine texture mapping, the better one was perspective correct texture mapping. I wrote an engine doing this and called it (P)erspective (C)orrect (T)exturemapping -> PCT. Later, i wrote a simple texture mapper in Java and called it jPCT, because adding a "j" for Java was very popular back then. That thing was the base from which jPCT as an engine evolved (some of this old code is still in jPCT even today) and simply kept the name.

Offline Kaiidyn

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:46:53 pm »
Ahh, i see. Thats actually quite interesting... i stickied it for other people to read, hope you don't mind :)
Clean code is simple and direct. Clean code reads like well-written prose. Clean code never obscures the designer’s intent but rather is full of crisp abstractions and straightforward lines of control. - Grady Booch

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:05:57 am »
No, that's just fine.