Author Topic: 2D Images in 3D Space  (Read 4811 times)

Offline loongy

• byte
    • View Profile
2D Images in 3D Space
« on: March 14, 2011, 12:48:50 am »
I'm a designer in a new 3d project for android and i need to create a 2d image and be able to move it around in 3d space.
is this possible with jpct-ae?
i have had a look at the frame buffer's blit method but it doesn't seem to be able to accomplish this.
i saw something that looked like what i wanted to acheive in the 3dbenchmark video on jpct-ae website.

Offline icarusfactor

• int
    • View Profile
Re: 2D Images in 3D Space
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:45:32 am »
 Not an expert on this use of it... yet, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
The answer would be "YES". You just have to use an Object3D plane primitive and place your 2D image( create a Texture object ) on it. The blit method is for 2D overlay use only on your 3D world. With the plane primitive you can use alpha image on the plane object and scale them rotate and translate all axis including the objects own vertices matrix i.e local and world coordinates.

Offline Kaiidyn

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:20:59 am »
as icarusfactor already said, you need to use a plane and apply your texture on it, also to have the plane always face the camera you need to enable billboarding..
Clean code is simple and direct. Clean code reads like well-written prose. Clean code never obscures the designer’s intent but rather is full of crisp abstractions and straightforward lines of control. - Grady Booch

Offline loongy

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:45:53 pm »
Thanks guys. all good now