Author Topic: Mesh serializer tool  (Read 7976 times)

Offline Optical Delusion

• byte
    • View Profile
Mesh serializer tool
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:22:22 am »
Hi there!

Not sure if this is the right spot to post this, cause it's not that kind of project one would expect to find here...

I'm in the process of building a game for android and just learned that I'm supposed to use serialized objects instead of reading the 3ds files, md2 files, etc directly on the phone. This seems to be a process quite common for all jPCT-AE based android projects, so I decided to build a nice and handy tool that serializes model files automagically.

This tool is designed as an eclipse plugin. It continuously scans a folder of a given eclipse project for changes, serializes model files when they get added or changed and saves the resulting .ser files in another folder of that project. Handling of textures is not implemented yet. This works well in conjunction with the Android Development Tools when the target folder (where serialized files are created) is set to res/raw. ADT will update your R.res.raw class after this tool serialized your model files :)

Just  a quick note: Although it should work, its still in an early development stage. Has been tested with Galileo, Helios and Indigo.

So if you're interested, please check out the project site at https://sourceforge.net/p/meshserializer and leave some comments here =)
"The kingdom of Hyrule will fall... Nothing can stop the evil which has crept inside these walls!"

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Mesh serializer tool
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:08:58 pm »
That's really cool...i'll try it later when i'm back home...

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:00:57 pm »
I gave it a try and it works fine so far. Does it actually call build() on the object before writing the ser-files? If not, it should...at least optional. An option to zip the output would be great too.

Offline Optical Delusion

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:56 pm »
Yes it does build the meshes and uses the "reduced" mode too when serializing. Zipping the output files should not be that hard to implement.
"The kingdom of Hyrule will fall... Nothing can stop the evil which has crept inside these walls!"

Offline kagronick

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:09:36 pm »
I'm really new to this and I can't find much documentation.  You should post some example code on your website.  Can you provide an example of loading several .ser files into an object?

Offline AceGIS

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:47:27 am »
Hi Optical Illusion,

I have a single object (landscape) .3ds file that the Eclipse Mesh Serializer tool is splitting into four .ser files. I need to know the origin coords after the plugin has split the 3ds into four strips. Can you please explain how the plugin handles the splitting into strips?

Thanks

Offline Disastorm

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 02:47:15 am »
Hello, I havn't tried this yet, but what do you mean it doens't handle texture files? I thought when you import a .obj or other formats it automatically assigns the textures, thus when you serialize it, shouldn't it have the textures on it?