jPCT-AE - a 3d engine for Android > Projects

Thinking about some RPG..Android version.

(1/126) > >>

EgonOlsen:
Edit: This is a split from the topic in the projects section for desktop jPCT. This deals with the Android version, which is most likely the way i'll go...if anything...

I'm still planning to port this thing to Android within this month. To prepare for this, i reduced the polygon count of the terrain (have to do this some more for Android) and reverted from phong shaded terrain and trees to gouraud shaded ones...the visual outcome is very very similar in this case. I also added some additional stuff to jPCT and jPCT-AE to reduce memory usage for cloned objects.

EgonOlsen:
The same code straight ported to Android OpenGL ES2.0 but with reduced terrain details and tree count:

On my Nexus S, this "runs" @ around 10 fps with full collision detection and stuff...not very amazing. In addition, it needs quite a lot of memory and i'm not sure if it will run on a 2.x VM this way (i'm on 4.0 now, which has up to 48mb of VM memory available).

Bryan:
OH wow, it still looks really great even on the phone. Shame it's only running with 10 frames a second. But still.. ;D

EgonOlsen:
It's just a mindless port for now. There's room for improvement...the textures are pretty large for a mobile device, the shaders aren't optimized at all, the view distance is pretty high and maybe rendering these tiny little plants makes no sense at all on such a small display...we'll see.

EgonOlsen:
Added some basic controls to the Android version, replaced the sky dome with a sky box, decreased view distance, optimized tree processing...

It now runs with full collision detection @9-13fps, which actually feels better than it sounds. However, there's no game logic except for the plants' visibility processing...which seems to be slower than the collision detection, which is odd. Anyway, this scene renders @ 13fps:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version