Author Topic: Thinking about some RPG..Android version.  (Read 246245 times)

Offline AeroShark333

• float
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about some RPG..Android version.
« Reply #570 on: January 29, 2015, 10:37:53 pm »
Those leaves sure do look realistic!
Nice work

Offline Thomas.

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 31, 2015, 12:53:33 pm »
Nice! When will be released demo/beta with few quests? :)

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #572 on: February 01, 2015, 11:07:32 pm »
Nice! When will be released demo/beta with few quests? :)
That's a good question! Once i have the dungeons done and applied some basic balancing to the mechanics, i suppose. I've no idea when this will be the case though. With this game, i'll blatantly ignore the good advise that you should let people play your game as early as possible. Well...actually, i've always ignored this advise for myself, but i would give it to anybody else... ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:32:56 am by EgonOlsen »

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 02, 2015, 05:08:58 pm »
Pines look nice.  Glad you are making progress.  Myself, I've found that releasing too early can totally kill my ambition.  No one means too, but they give criticism on what they see without the imagination to see where I am going with it.  It needs to be in the beta stage for me.  Also, most people probably won't replay it, so if it's too early, I lose all my useful testers.
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 02, 2015, 08:32:25 pm »
I think that you actually need people that have a special relationship with games, like other game developers or designers for this to work. The normal gamer would just compare your game to Witcher 3, Call of Duty or FarCry 4 and tell you that it sucks. People claiming that you should do this are mainly from the game industry themselves. They might have no problem to find these testers, but us hobbyists do...

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 02, 2015, 11:38:57 pm »
Yeah, that's pretty much the problem.  It's not their fault or anything, that's just all they've been playing.  It's nice to find other developers that are willing to test because it's a world of difference.  Then again, you are going to end up with those Witcher 3 people eventually.  I find I have to hone my graphics so they just look kind of bad but still playable for those type.  It's kind of like a salesman getting his foot in the door.  Luckily we've had things like Minecraft to kind of tone down people's expectations.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 13, 2015, 10:37:36 pm »
Created two more texture sets for the dungeons. I plan on using four, so there's still one to go...

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 14, 2015, 09:14:47 pm »
That will help a lot for variety, although more difference in color tone would help also, like more of a brownish.  You've made amazing progress.  Huge project. 

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 14, 2015, 09:49:09 pm »
That will help a lot for variety, although more difference in color tone would help also, like more of a brownish.
That's why i added the forth, the red one today. I actually had one in brown, but it somehow didn't feel right.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 14, 2015, 11:45:54 pm »
You've made amazing progress.  Huge project.
The current state of the game is this: All NPCs, dialogs and quests are in. All locations are in as well (towns, dungeons, special places,...). However, almost all of the dungeons are single room ones ATM that exist only to provide the items and enemies that are needed for the quests. I'm currently 'drawing' the actual dungeon maps in a text editor, which is quite a lot of work, because i need at least 30 of them.
After this is done, the game will actually be playable and the balancing starts. In parallel, i'll have to convince some poor soul, who's a native english speaker, to read all my english translations and correct spelling and style...that will become an interesting task...

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 15, 2015, 02:20:15 am »
Well, I'm a native English speaker.  I've had some college English and writing classes.  I don't think you'll have much for problems judging by your responses.  I'd be happy to help, though.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 15, 2015, 04:19:24 pm »
That's an offer that i can't refuse... ;) But it really is quite a lot of text...but then again, there's no deadline to meet and i really want the english translation to be good (as far as my writing skills permit it...). The largest part of the text is dialog. Quest descriptions and item names are another, but they make only around 5%-10%. The dialog text is stored in a bunch of XML-files, which is ok for me but it might be tedious to edit inside these files for others.
So my idea is this: I'll write a simple web-application that lets you select one of these files, then chose one of the NPCs inside the file and then edit the english version of the dialog for this NPC. You can then write the changes back into the XML and all the modified parts will be flaged as...well, modified. That would allow you to work on these texts whenever you feel like it and i can grab and even update the latest version whenever i have to. Does this sound reasonable?
Or i can dump them all into some text document and send it to you as well, if that's prefered...

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 16, 2015, 12:52:46 am »
Sounds good.  Just let me know when you get the application working.  Like you say, this is something I'll need to do a little at a time, but I have quite a bit of free time and I really don't mind that kind of thing at all.

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 16, 2015, 08:25:09 am »
Cool. I've already started working on the webapp yesterday. I'll finish it in the next few days.

Offline Wolf17

• int
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 16, 2015, 06:25:41 pm »
   Very Nice Progress !  :) THe texture set at upper right corner and lower left corner are pretty realistic!In fact the one at the upper right corner feels quite creepy ! I wont like to dwell there in real life  ;)! The bumpmap is prominent in both these two. I think the red one(lower right corner) can be tweaked more ?
Whatever,....Your project inspires a lot ! You do it all alone.....It must be quite hard  to do all the graphics and coding, debugging etc...?