Author Topic: Aaagh!  (Read 7188 times)

Offline sikakraa

• byte
    • View Profile
Aaagh!
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »
Hi!

We (ab)used JPCT-AE to do an old-school dungeon crawl, which randomly generates the maps, levels, enemies etc.

The game is available in google play:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=sikakraa.dungeonproject&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsInNpa2FrcmFhLmR1bmdlb25wcm9qZWN0Il0.

Thank you for great engine!

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Aaagh!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:41:37 am »
That's actually pretty nice...i have to admit that i usually have some problems with RPGs that aren't "serious", but this one is quite funny because it seems to be consistent in it's absurdity. I had some fun playing it so far.

I also like the gui, it's pretty intuitive and makes good use of the touch screen IMHO. I'll add it to the projects page if you don't mind.

Offline sikakraa

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »
Thank you! I'm really glad that you've had fun playing! :)

It would be very nice of you to put it there!

Offline Disastorm

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:53:44 am »
I havn't played it but the screenshots look cool. It looks like a combination of 3d and 2d sprites?

Offline sikakraa

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 11:39:02 am »
Thanks! I hope you get to play the game... and hopefully like it too :)

Yeah, the enemies & items in the game world are 2d, but the levels are 3d.

We didn't have a real 3d-artist and my blender skills were so rusty, that we decided to go with the 2d. It still meant that we had to draw a lot of stuff with our less-than-mediocre drawing skills, but it ended up rather well fitting to the absurd game world. I mean this wasn't going to be a triple-A title anyway, but just two dudes making a game for fun.

Most of the games levels are randomly generated (adding occasional static room with static content like obstacles, items and/or enemies) in the style of roguelikes, so the map generation generates list of characters that look like a map from some roguelike, and then we'll parse that and generate 3d objects to make the playable world. 

I didn't remember to put it in my first post, but in case someone is interested, the code can be found in: http://code.google.com/p/dungeon-of-aaagh/

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 09:05:25 am »
I'm downloading the game right now and will be sure to let you know what I think. I do appreciate the source code, thank you. I'll have a look at that too!

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:06:22 am »
Ok,there are lots of little issues on my Galaxy S3, like the "ready" button not showing up and some of the text not being readable. The controls are very nice, though, congrats.

Offline sikakraa

• byte
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:42:55 pm »
Thanks for trying the game! :)

We don't have any of those 'really high density' -devices available, so it's hard to tell what's wrong. But I think it's just probably that we don't have a good layout & font sizes for that density.

I'd really appreciate help with this... Could you do a favor for us and maybe send some screenshots from those screens that are wrong?

Offline AGP

• quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 08:36:13 pm »
I can do that, just give me a little while.

Offline azid

• byte
    • View Profile
    • V Heart Tech
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 11:16:51 am »
Wow! this is good. Thanks!.