Author Topic: Object Merging  (Read 2645 times)

Offline 9kaywun

• byte
  • Java Programmer
    • View Profile
Object Merging
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:20:46 am »
Is there a specific reason jPCT only supports 100 Object3D instances being merged into a single object? Was experimenting with a "region system" and realized I couldn't merge more than 100 "tiles" together.

Also, just noticed if I try to use this:

// region.createTriangleStrips(); // Good for OpenGL performance
It seems my region instance gets stuck before being created, as soon as the above code is called, and my client just stops at that.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:25:04 am by DHAReauxK »
Developing a 3D multiplayer engine using jPCT:
Deleted, will return soon..

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
Re: Object Merging
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:20:34 pm »
Just omit that call. For complex objects, it runs really long for almost no gain on current hardware. If you are compiled object, it's pointless anyway.
What do you mean with "only supports 100 Object3D instances"? There's no limit...what happens if you use more than that?

Offline 9kaywun

• byte
  • Java Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Object Merging
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:44 pm »
Just omit that call. For complex objects, it runs really long for almost no gain on current hardware. If you are compiled object, it's pointless anyway.
What do you mean with "only supports 100 Object3D instances"? There's no limit...what happens if you use more than that?

About the GL thing, thanks. As for the 100 Object3D thing, I'm going to have to re-design my region system today and get back to, because the tile coordination array is > 65K values, so I can't test over 100 tiles until I optimize some of the core functions.

EDIT Yeah, it was my old tile system that was causing the problem..... No issues anymore.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:57:31 am by LuteauxK »
Developing a 3D multiplayer engine using jPCT:
Deleted, will return soon..