Author Topic: Flier Match  (Read 99702 times)

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
Re: Flier Match
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 04:54:53 pm »
Ok, I set you up.  Your web address will be:

http://melssj5.paulscode.com

I emailed you your FTP password and stuff.  Let me know if you get it ok.

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »
Yes, Thanks a lot.  8) 8)

BTW: Is there j2ee support on you hosting plan?
Nada por ahora

Offline paulscode

• double
    • View Profile
    • PaulsCode.Com
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 05:12:38 pm »
Yes, Thanks a lot.  8) 8)

BTW: Is there j2ee support on you hosting plan?

Only server-side stuff I've done is with Perl (cgi scripts).  If you are wanting to host a game server, sorry.  My contract specifically states I may not use my site to host game servers or video streams.

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 05:16:40 pm »
Its okay. Thanks a lot again.  :D
Nada por ahora

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2008, 11:20:24 pm »
Well, here are 2 pics of the game as is right now. (90%)

Nada por ahora

Offline fireside

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2008, 01:47:56 am »
Pretty nice.  The terrain is just a little bland, it would be nice if you mixed it with something else a little.
click here->Fireside 7 Games<-

Offline JavaMan

• long
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2008, 02:11:53 am »
Cool looking planes. Looks nice! Are you going to put up a download or something when its done?

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2008, 05:15:35 pm »
Yes, actually that map is just a simple terrain with mountains just for testing, I am planing to do many maps and more planes to be dinamically added to the game (Just copy and paste inot a predefined directory).

About putting a download link, well, the original idea was to make it free and open source. Maybe I will change this idea but later. Now I just can assign a few hours for week to the project.

Actually I am downloading Strata 3d CX to do more maps and crafts.
Nada por ahora

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 11:04:36 pm »
Actually I am a kind of stuck on this and  a lot desmotivated. I am doing the shooting stuff, I have had no time since I am waiting another baby. Anyway, The project is still on.
Nada por ahora

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jpct.net
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 11:38:10 pm »
I have had no time since I am waiting another baby.
Good luck with that project. Remember to post some pictures in the "baby-thread"... ;D

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2008, 05:18:53 pm »
well, yesterday Iqorked a bit on this project. I managed to add the collisionListener to all my targets on my bad structured server. But I am facing some problems:

1.- where should the bullet be fired (If I shoot it from my craft position it will collide with my owm craft)
2.- How to pass the bullets stuff to all clients
3.- The animations for the explosions (BIG for a craft explosion, medium for a misile impact and small for a bullet impact)
4.- Playing sounds (when fired, while moving???, when impacting)
5.- How much should the bullet lilve
6.- how to move the bullet/misil to make it fire the collisionevent and saving resources because the server is getting stressed and lags
7.- zip/unzip all the information for sending and receiveing
8.- how to identify a bullet/misil to know how shooted it, and to keep an id of each shooted bullet

I guess this shooting stuff is the more complicated.
Nada por ahora

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2008, 08:05:25 pm »
I can only comment on how i solved these issues for the bomberman clone. That doesn't say much about the quality of those solutions except that they do work. After all, this is my first real gameserver. Anyway, here we go:

1.- I fire them in front of the player, but depending on the animation, it may still collide with the mesh. Therefor, i set the player to invisible before checking its own bullets for collision.
2.- My server sends all known objects to all clients in each iteration. This works, because i don't have that much objects. The format in which i'm sending them is quite lean and i'm zipping it, so this hasn't been an issue so far.
3.- The clients determine which animation to play based on the object's state. Animations, explosions and that kind of stuff don't have to be in sync IMHO.
4.- Haven't done this yet, i'm already transfering an event to the clients to inform them about sound type and location. I'm just not playing any sound right now.
5.- My bullets live on all clients until the server stops transfering them. If they don't hit anything, they time out after some seconds...5 or something, IIRC.
6.- I'm violating the "never trust the client"-principle here and am doing these checks on the client that initialy created the object. However, i'm not doing the response directly but send an event to the server to inform him that something has hit something else. The server checks this by doing a rough distance check and if that passes, it sends the information back to all clients.
7.- No problem. You can simply wrap your stream into a GZIPOutputStream/GZIPInputStream. That's basically all that has to be done to zip the data.
8.- Each object carries the local object id as well as the client's id that the server gives it after login. Both in combination are unique. That way, it's always possible to identify which object belongs to which client and, if it was part of an event, you can simply get those two values to add it to the event, so that each client that receives the event knows, which object on whic client caused it. I have some helper methods to find a view representation for that object on each client.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:07:54 pm by EgonOlsen »

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:32 pm »
another doubt.

If my craft is moving to the front and a bullet is coming to if from the front.

craft------------>   <---------------bullet

my CollisionListener is on the craft. So the the impact is done, then.

a) on my collisionListener which object will be the source of the collition?? I need it to be the bullet but, how knows!
Nada por ahora

Offline EgonOlsen

• Administrator
  • quad
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2008, 08:30:13 pm »
I that case, the bullet will be the source and craft the target. Just as you would expect it.

Offline Melssj5

• double
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2008, 08:43:31 pm »
 ??? :o :( >:(

why?

The bullet moving thread and the craft moving thread will be different threads concurently running!
Nada por ahora