Bones - Skeletal and Pose Animations for jPCT/jPCT-AE > Bones

Bones joint rotate but mesh doesn`t update

<< < (8/8)

Marchioly:

--- Quote from: raft on March 15, 2016, 01:59:06 am ---
--- Quote from: Marchioly on March 15, 2016, 12:10:26 am ---Edit: Another problem with the bones format/java serialization is that it removes the ability to obfuscate your code/bones lib (assuming you want to).

--- End quote ---
it's interesting that you call that a problem but not a restriction.

anyway, it's not a real restriction, you can exclude Bones' classes from obfuscation so serialized format wont cause a problem.

--- End quote ---

I used the wrong word. A more fitting word would be limitation or shortcoming. Yes, you can remove the classes from obfuscation, but that will just make the process of reverse engineering/deobfuscation that much easier.

--- Quote from: AGP on March 15, 2016, 06:46:12 am ---The MaxScript part I can handle. Isn't the point of serialization performance? What if we bypass the bones format altogether and create a JSON-serialized format of our own (and we could--and, indeed, SHOULD--add support for importing other formats, such as the IQM)? We could export to a custom format we could call, say, bonesx (that way we could make our own exporters for Max and Blender spit out the serialized and final file). Regarding JSON, I quote the following article: "The results show that Java serialization is slow for a small number of objects, but good for a large number of objects. Conversely, XML and JSON can outperform Java serialization for a small number of objects, but Java serialization is faster for a large number of objects."

http://java-persistence-performance.blogspot.com.br/2013/08/optimizing-java-serialization-java-vs.html

--- End quote ---

I like the idea of json or at least a text based format. Mainly because it makes it easy to check for errors/debug the problems that library users are experiencing.

On the topic of the speed issue, I have not done any benchmarks since around jdk1.6/java6.

I was of the understanding that java serialization/ObjectOutputStream was slower than a binary format. I have only previously compared it with xstream/kryo/gson. I thought that in general gson's serialization was pretty fast. However, it is worth noting that my previous tests were storing integer/string data rather than complex objects.

AGP:
How do we proceed? Would you like to see the MaxScript as it stands right now? PM me your email address.

Marchioly:
I pmed you earlier today.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version