Author Topic: Add child joint to existing skeleton at runtime  (Read 14109 times)

Offline Tangomajom

• byte
    • View Profile
Add child joint to existing skeleton at runtime
« on: January 18, 2017, 11:06:12 am »
Hi Raft,

After a long time I'm back again with an interesting question. :)

Is it possible to "extend" the skeleton of an Animated3D object with an extra child bone?

Let me explain the reason of this question:
As you may remember I'm working on a fitness application, and I have an animated Male who can show various exercises. The human body can move correctly thanks to JPCT and your library. :)
Now I would like to modify my code to let the human grab and lift objects (barbells, chains, kettlebells etc.).

Here is my plan:
1. create the movable objects in blender with only 1 bone, which affects the whole mesh.
2. export the objects with the ogre exporter (Just like I did with the Male body), and import the .bones file to my android project
3. after loading I would like to add the movable objects single bone to the Male body skeleton as a child of the hand bone.

If this is possible then I just need to animate only the human body, and the accessories will follow the linked bone.
Step 1 and 2 is easy, but with step 3 I need your help. Is it possible to connect the object like this way?

Thank you in advance,

Offline raft

• quad
    • View Profile
    • http://www.aptalkarga.com
Re: Add child joint to existing skeleton at runtime
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:35:01 pm »
hey!

nope, not possible with current state of api. you can change the code or use reflection to add a joint to skeleton. however I'm not sure math will follow what you intend to do.

I will suggest attaching your movable object to skeleton at blender and export the male body and object as a group, separate objects but both are linked to same skeleton. at run time you can show/hide your object. (not sure if possible with blender exporter, but anyway)

see the ninja demo, it's exported as a group and ninja holds a sword at his hand which can be shown/hidden but follows ninja's animation.