jPCT - a 3d engine for Java > Support

Shadows

(1/3) > >>

AGP:
Egon, I'd really like to solve the shadow-map movement issue in jpct. I've put out finishing a nice little RPG game for a couple of years because of it. The following shows the problem I get when I move the sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3KdV7mqEHY

EgonOlsen:
I'm not sure what's going on there, because the video compression makes it very difficult to spot the actual problem. At first glance, I would say that this is normal behaviour and caused by the resolution of the shadow map and/or how much it's streched across the surface. It could be an accuracy issue related to the latter, but again...it's hard to tell anything from that video. Do you have a test case for this?

AGP:
The movement is terrible, Egon, even with the shadow map at the size of 8192 pixels. There's no compression problem on the video: what you think is a codec issue is the shadow issue.

EgonOlsen:
I really can't see what's going on in this video...it can still be an accuracy issue due to problems in handling very scretched texture coordinates and it's impossible to tell this from this video...but anyway, the shadow mapping in desktop jPCT is based on the fixed function pipeline. What this pipeline does is, well, fixed and there's no way to change its behaviour.
A test case would be nice though...everything else is wild guessing on my side.

AGP:
I've emailed you one. But my forest is actually even bigger than that (regardless, the artifacts are plainly visible). Thanks in advance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version